mold on eggs

amv123

can mold grow on fertile eggs? I had an egg that I thought was fertile. When I candled it, it had a reddish glow and I thought I could see veins. Its been incubating for almost a week now at 84 and has started to grow mold...

DrCarrotTail

If your humidity is too high and your substrate is not 100% clean yes mold can grow on healthy eggs. I would suggest making a new incubation container, microwaving it for 20 seconds and when it cools off, putting it into your incubator and once reaches the right temperature wiping the eggs off and transferring them to it. Good luck!

favrielle

At a guess? To sterilize it. By microwaving for 20 seconds, or however long to make sure it's hot, you should be killing any existing mold spores or bacteria on the substrate so that your eggs have the best chance of surviving. But that's just a guess. I've also heard of doing this for laybox/humid hide substrate.

amv123

is there anything specfic I shouls use to wipe off the eggs with? for now I just wiped the egg with a napkin but is there anything I can kill the mold with, without harming the egg?

Visit our friends