Moonglow bulb question

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
I've always been rather perplexed and confused by these things. I've heard good and bad. Now, I'm assuming that the Moonglow bulb is an alternative form of black light (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I've heard that black light can cause eye damage. I've used a Moonglow bulb with no detrimental effects, however. Could someone help me clear this up?

BossLady

I use the moon glo bulbs in my setup - their purpose is to provide a little bit of light. my geckos seem to be very active under them and I have seen no ill effects from them at all. I usually stick with the 15 or 25 wattage ones since I do not need additional heat on them.

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
I personally have never heard of black light bulbs causing eye damage not to say that it doesnt but I have never read of it. I used both black light and night glo bulbs when I had my chameleon and the only difference was that the night glo was a little brighter but thats the only thing I noticed.

The back of my night glow box say "simulates natural moonlight". It is made by exoterra. The only thing that might possibly be different is that there is absolutely nothing on the box that says anything about UV.

In this thread it says that a black light is made with woods glass and the night glo bulb is just tinted glass.
http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-49144.html

So after my brief google search it does seem like moon glow or night glo bulbs are better than a blacklight bulb.

Visit our friends