My gecko can't eat mealworms??!!?!?!?!

Sandyballs

She looks very very hungry, she strikes at mealworms many times and simply they fall off her mouth, she normaly eats big so i moved to small and that doesn't help at all, anyone know what I can do?

this wasnt a problem before, had her for about a year

Brandy

I got a little baby, Ojo, who has deformities and the mealworms would just fall out of his mouth. I gave him liquid calcium every night and after about a week he started eating mealies fine.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Geckos, Ahhh YES.

She looks very very hungry, she strikes at mealworms many times and simply they fall off her mouth, she normaly eats big so i moved to small and that doesn't help at all, anyone know what I can do?

this wasnt a problem before, had her for about a year

By any chance do you have tile on the floor?
Some of mine on tile strike and miss.
Take care. Hj

Sandyballs

I got a little baby, Ojo, who has deformities and the mealworms would just fall out of his mouth. I gave him liquid calcium every night and after about a week he started eating mealies fine.

would this just be powder calcium mixed with water?

mindgamer8907

No the calcium you're looking for is liquid, it would come in a bottle, if anyone knows a good brand please suggest it. The coloration of her tongue would be helpful, but mouth sores would look a bit like dark brown bits around the mouth (be careful, there are probably a few of those that aren't sores too). I know that the sores on my girl were tender, and bled when she bit down, try getting something white, and provoke her to bite it. Or even use a mealie and check it for blood.

I've also known geckos to very gingerly "gum" their mealies, never really chewing very hard. How does your gecko strike? Ferociously or quickly but gently?

It could be mouth sores or it could be a lack of calcium. Are you dusting the mealies? Does the Gecko have a dish with Calcium available at all times? Is it pure cacium or calcium + d3? All this info will help. Also, please post pictures of the mouth area, that would help immensely. If it does look like a mouth infection, see the vet immediately and in the meantime you may consider other supplements. When my girl had mouth rot, it was helpful to keep her off of solid food, (mainly I used zilla's Jumpstart), and give her warm soaks to make sure she was hydrated. I also know there are helpful supplements like Reptaid (which helps quite nicely if you dose it correctly, and I'd be more than happy to help), but while these things are helpful, nothing will beat the vet visit with a HERP VET. I can't stress enough that a Herp speciallist will be most likely to be most helpful. Though if you can't find one, most other vets will suffice (in that case it may be a good idea to ask for the vet's rationalization behind everything, and relay as much info here so we can all help debunk, just to be safe).

Good luck, Keep us posted.

Visit our friends