My Gecko Hates Me

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", says Clint.

Hi Cassandra.
Since I do these things I can let you know they work..........
I feed wax worms EVERY day.
I handle my geckos from Day 2...........
I never use overhead lamps unless the bulbs are low 13 to 15 watts
and only on taller than 12 inch high tanks.
(most will drive the temps up).......
I have very tame and very well proportioned
(maybe some excess proportioned)
but healthy geckos...............
Now in saying that, let me start by mentioning *************
(#1 )Wax worms will be chosen over meal worms by most geckos.
My idea is to use them, but not to abuse them.
My adults get meal worms(avg. 6--7) and (2 0r 3 wax).......
Your youth at 2 to 4 weeks you say is not eating but yet you said it poops in its hide........Can't have both.....
Food makes poop at my place...........
But the rule for me on feeding wax worms is,
eat your meat and veggies......get a snickers bar.
No eating meal worms, no wax worms...get hungry and eat the
planned meal first...........and they will.
They won't starve when food is available...................

Handling and friendship.
You mentioned the gecko gave up......
Come on now, be honest, who quit trying to have contact?..........
It wasn't getting out of its home searching you out and just quit........
It wasn't being friendly so your persistance stopped
when you didn't get an easy acceptance fro it.........
daily routine, Palm down, hand on the floor of the
tank, make a fist, wet your knuckles, slide it slowly toward your gecko.
..........he's in the hide? remove the hide for now.........
sliding it slow and knuckles wet keep moving it slowly and he/she
will pop it most likely...Damn he says, I can get a drink this way.
Wet it one more time and I doubt it pops it again but you touch
it anyway with the wet knuckle. Wow he /she licked it.
Thats enough for the first day. When he/she quits popping it and only licks the water......its time to not make the fist and lay the palm
flat on the floor of the tank.......slowly moving it toward he/she.
Object now is to have it touch or even better climb on the back of your hand..................now your getting close to friendship with your gecko.....Keep the same thing going daily and he will feel
good about him/her being giving a ride on your hand.

Stopping the association is not the answer.......
he/she really wants a friend............take care. HJ

Haligren

is behind you.
GeckoGathering, thank you so much for the wonderful advice. My Fafnir passed away recently due to unknown reasons (although I suspect it was because of a virus) but I will definately remember this advice for my next gecko.

I just didn't want to keep scaring him. Every time I put my hand near him he would run away. And you're right, I did suspect he was eating as he WAS producing waste, but I never saw him eat or drink. Atleast up until the day before he passed away (where he ate very little if at all from what I could tell).

Anyway, thanks again. I look forward to applying what I have learned in these forums for my next gecko.

nats

Food makes poop at my place...........

LOL!! quote of the day! :)
funny how that works, isnt it!?

Seriously though, I give my leos one or two waxies almost every day for "desert". I dont think its bad to do that. Heck, I like to have a little desert
to top off my meals as well, dont you!? And I'm still skinny ;)

Unlike you though, I'm not keen on handling my geckos. I do touch and pet them every day, but I never pick them up and play with them.

I really prefer to just observe them. Also, I am afraid they may jump and fall if i remove them on my hand.

Haligren

is behind you.
I never handled Fafir out of his tank. I always held him low in the tank and just let him crawl around on my hands. When I DID handle him, that is. I was afraid that he would get hurt otherwise. There was one time where he took off but he didn't have far to fall and wasn't hurt. I don't even really have to handle my geckos either but I just want to be able to should I ever NEED to, i.e. medical emergencies, transporting, etc.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Missing out!

I never handled Fafir out of his tank. I always held him low in the tank and just let him crawl around on my hands. When I DID handle him, that is. I was afraid that he would get hurt otherwise. There was one time where he took off but he didn't have far to fall and wasn't hurt. I don't even really have to handle my geckos either but I just want to be able to should I ever NEED to, i.e. medical emergencies, transporting, etc.

Don't mean this to sound like a wise guy, but:
OH my,
"you sure are missing out on some of the " fun part of hanging out with geckos "...
Mine ride my body, shoulders, head. Have one that rides with me under my ball cap to pick up worms at the post office......one eats wax worms while on my shoulder..I hold them and feed supplements from a eye dropper......
some come out when they see me walk by....One comes over to the meal worm bowl to have me tip it so she can plunge her head in it and pull out a mouthful of 3 or 4 worms at a time.......
Hey there is more to the gecko hobby than seeing them behind glass........
They don't break easily, but of course they deserve thoughtfulness in handling. And a little time and patience in getting to that place with them...You will find they are quick to learn to be your friend.
....Take care. HJ

Haligren

is behind you.
I'm used to working with mammals, and even though I was hired to work with reptiles my experience beyond that has been limited. When I was in high school I looked after some in my biology teacher's class. I helped to feed them and clean their tanks, but that was about it. Maybe some people just have more of a repoire with them. I tend to bond well with felines, ferrets, and rats. I've always liked reptiles but I never felt like they liked me back. But maybe it's because I don't understand them.

I'd like very much to interact the way you do with them. I didn't get that chance with Fafnir so I hope that I will with my next one now that I feel more prepared. I grew up with cats, but not lizards, so maybe it takes more time to bond with them. I dunno. Your geckos sure do sound like a lot of fun! :D

Visit our friends