My male isn't eating much at all. Help please.

Theinfidel

My 10 month old male almost 11 hasn't been eating like he used to like 3 weeks ago. He would eat anything off my hand or the deli cup i had the worms in to feed him and easily he'll eat 15 a day for 3 days a week but now he barely eats twice a week now... every time i offer food in these days he'll swiftly turn his head once i put the bowl down and walk slowly to the bowl lick the worm or calcium in the bowl and just walk away or sometimes he'll eat 1 or 2 worms then stop. he's been 59 grams for a while now and is super active especially with the females around (really aggressive fella). So i don't know what to do, is this because it's breeding season and males wont eat much during this time period?

- Sex MALE
- Age & Weight Almost 11 months now
- How long have you owned your leo Almost 7 months now.
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend)reputable breeder

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo Daily
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. He's just been really hyped up with the females around i guess moving around all over the place and just not eating.
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) Looks normal
- When was the last time he/she went Not sure probably around 2 or 3 days ago

C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on
Every time i offer food during feeding time he'll swiftly turn his head once i put the bowl down and walk slowly to the bowl, lick the worm or calcium in the bowl and just walk away or sometimes he'll eat 1 or 2 worms then stop.
Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size 15 quart container
- Type (ex. glass tank)
- Type of substrate paper towel
- Hides, how many, what kind 1 hide on the cool side, it's a big hollow rock (he likes climbing on it)
B) Heating
- Heat source Heat tape
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) hot side around 90 or a little higher and the cool side is at 77
- Method of regulating heat source 500r thermostate
- What are you using to measure your temps digital thermometer/hydrometer
- Do you have any lights (describe)no
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females)
- Describe health, or previous problems

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) mealworms, 2 days a week, as much as he can eat out of 20
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) dish/hand sometimes
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands)
- What are you gut loading food with rep-cal calcium w/o d3 twice a week

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Sorry to hear you're having a concern with your gecko. If you could please fill out this care questionaire it would help the membership to see how you're keeping your leo to pinpoint possible causes that are affecting his eating habits.

About your leo:
- Sex
- Age & Weight
- How long have you owned your leo
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend)

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal)
- When was the last time he/she went
C) Problem
- Please briefly descrive the problem and how long it has been going on

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size
- Type (ex. glass tank)
- Type of substrate
- Hides, how many, what kind
B) Heating
- Heat source
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side)
- Method of regulating heat source
- What are you using to measure your temps
- Do you have any lights (describe)
C) Cage mates

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much)
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect)
- What are you gut loading food with

P.S you're fast Erica

prettyinpink

I'd suggest putting a hide on the hot side too...One where he can get belly heat but also be covered so he'll hide under there.

Second, if he's pooping...that's a good sign! So when you say he's not eating much and you say 2 mealies is this two mealies once a week or?

Theinfidel

He never uses hides though...ever since he was like 6 months he never really hid much he only went into the humide hide when he needed to and slept on the hot side without a hide. that big shallow rock that i just have for him is there because he likes to climb on it not go in it lol he chills on the top like he's all mighty so yeah..i did offer hides on both sides but he usually knocks it over and sleeps beside it. Oh yeah and he loves digging so he'll just mess up all the paper towels and knock over everything lol tha'ts another reason i have that heavy hide in there.

As for the mealies he'll eat like 2 everytime i offer food which is twice a week and i'll leave em there for a night and i barely see anything eaten.

Last edited:

prettyinpink

I'd suggest getting him a bowl and leave feeders in there all the time. He IS eating and pooping though which is good :)

I honestly would still suggest getting some hides for him, some that don't tip over. They like to hide...it's in their blood :p (I'm tired, can't think of a better way to say it)

Theinfidel

I forgot to mention that i noticed something he does now that he never ever did before during feeding..before he would lunge quickly and gripe the mealworm or w/e with his jaws ofcourse like any other gecko. But now whenever he eats those 1 or 2 mealworms he'll instead lunge slowly and try to get a grip on the worm but like i guess he doesn't open his mouth big enough or something and misses the mealworm and usually stops from there. I know anyone who reads this is gonna think MBD right? but like i don't understand this i've always dusted my crickets/mealworms during feeding time and ALWAYS left calcium in the enclosure 24/7 so idk.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Does your leo have the enigma morph gene in his genetic make up? Pictures of your leo could help us let you know if you're unsure. Also knowing some of the answers on that care questionaire would really help us to get a better picture of how you're keeping your leo that might be causing some of your concerns.

Theinfidel

DSCI0390.jpg

DSCI0389.jpg

fl_orchidslave

My 10 month old male almost 11 hasn't been eating like he used to like 3 weeks ago. He would eat anything off my hand or the deli cup i had the worms in to feed him and easily he'll eat 15 a day for 3 days a week but now he barely eats twice a week now... every time i offer food in these days he'll swiftly turn his head once i put the bowl down and walk slowly to the bowl lick the worm or calcium in the bowl and just walk away or sometimes he'll eat 1 or 2 worms then stop. he's been 59 grams for a while now and is super active especially with the females around (really aggressive fella). So i don't know what to do, is this because it's breeding season and males wont eat much during this time period?

IMO he has more on his mind than eating.. he looks like a healthy male in the throws of hormonal changes.. sniffin the girls now that he's a big guy :) He still eats, just not as much, which is typical of adults. My boys eat a superworm every other day, sometimes 2 or sometimes they don't want to eat. Unless your boy starts losing weight, it's nothing to worry about. You could try offering a superworm, he may like the action because they're more lively than mealworms.

[/QUOTE]- Sex MALE
- Age & Weight Almost 11 months now
- How long have you owned your leo Almost 7 months now.
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend)reputable breeder

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo Daily
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. He's just been really hyped up with the females around i guess moving around all over the place and just not eating.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) Looks normal
- When was the last time he/she went Not sure probably around 2 or 3 days ago

C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on
Every time i offer food during feeding time he'll swiftly turn his head once i put the bowl down and walk slowly to the bowl, lick the worm or calcium in the bowl and just walk away or sometimes he'll eat 1 or 2 worms then stop.
Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size 15 quart container
- Type (ex. glass tank)
- Type of substrate paper towel
- Hides, how many, what kind 1 hide on the cool side, it's a big hollow rock (he likes climbing on it)
B) Heating
- Heat source Heat tape
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) hot side around 90 or a little higher and the cool side is at 77
- Method of regulating heat source 500r thermostate
- What are you using to measure your temps digital thermometer/hydrometer
- Do you have any lights (describe)no
C) Cage mates

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) mealworms, 2 days a week, as much as he can eat out of 20
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) dish/hand sometimes
- What are you gut loading food with rep-cal calcium w/o d3 twice a week[/QUOTE]

They do need some D-3 and other vitamin/minerals. Check out the supplement section on this forum and read thru some of those threads.

Theinfidel

Thanks guys really appreciate the help. Gonna buy some calcium with d3 and possibly multivitamin powder today or this weekend and as for the superworms i'll buy some tomorrow as well as crickets because he really did like hunting for them.

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
You could just get repashy calcium plus icb or T-Rex leopard gecko dust icb by sandfire foods and have an all in one suppliment insted of 3 different ones. Imo it makes supplimenting so much easier and most petstores carry the T-Rex variety.

Theinfidel

Ok i bought the t rex multivitamin and some superworms which are lively and he's ignoring them. He's still the same weight hasn't eaten in like a week.

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
How are you offering the superworms?

You can keep them in a container with some rolled oats and a piece of potato or carrot and they'll keep for quite a while. Just keep offering on a regular schedule and offer both dusted and undusted. Also imo the later in the night I feed Eros the happier he is. I forgot to feed him one night and fed him at like 2 am insted of his regular 10 pm and he ate enthuiastically, whereas his regular time he's kinda meh... yeah I guess I'll eat. Could benothing but just what I noticed.

Visit our friends