My mealwom breeding plans

Doggey75

So, I'm gonna start breeding meal worms because soon I'm gonna be getting this rack and within a year or so I'm most likely gonna end up with 11 geckos. (BTW the tubs of the rack is 12q. That should be good right). So, I wanna start breeding meal worms as early as possible and as quick too. I have done a lot of research and watched lots of youtube videos about breeding meal worms. This is what my plan is gonna be. Tell me if I am doing something wrong

I am gonna be breeding them in does plastic storage rack things. Similar to this. But, I want mine to have at least 4 drawers. I'm gonna be buying Oats breeding (Does anyone know where to find this in bulk?). Since, I can't seem to find a website that sells meal beetles I am going to buy two packs of 3000 meal worms from Rainbow mealworms. I will be putting 1 pack on the bottom and the other on the 2nd to bottom. I'll be feeding them to my geckos since I know it will be a lot xD. Once they pupate I will put start putting them on the top rows. Once they become beetles they will start breeding sooner or later. When I start to see the little larvae. I will take out all the beetles and put them in a separate container. I will then dump the bedding into the meal worm drawer and reapply bedding into the beetle drawer. And repeat.

Please tell me if I'm missing anything or something I can do better. I want to be very sure I will be doing this right :p

Last edited:

getkos

mealworms are very easy to breed but keeping them clean and dry can be a pain i recently had to trash my breeding colony due to grain mite infestation because the rolled oats i had in my tub became too moist but now on i microwave for a few seconds then freeze them for a couple days before i add them to the meal worm tubs just to be safe. on the other hand breeding leopard geckos can be alot of work and cost alot of money so before you decide to start breading on large scale start small. you need to think ahead like what are you gonna do if you have a sick gecko do you have the money to bring it to the vet, what are you gonna do with the hatchlings do you have somewhere to sell them also do you know how to properly ship them? each female leopard gecko can lay up to 10-12 clutches that's a lot of babies to get stuck with if things don't work out. i hope you didn't take this the wrong i just noticed that you were young and hope you knew what you were getting into before you start.

Last edited:

Doggey75

mealworms are very easy to breed but keeping them clean and dry can be a pain i recently had to trash my breeding colony due to grain mite infestation because the rolled oats i had in my tub became too moist but now on i microwave for a few seconds then freeze them for a couple days before i add them to the meal worm tubs just to be safe. on the other hand breeding leopard geckos can be alot of work and cost alot of money so before you decide to start breading on large scale start small. you need to think ahead like what are you gonna do if you have a sick gecko do you have the money to bring it to the vet, what are you gonna do with the hatchlings do you have somewhere to sell them also do you know how to properly ship them? each female leopard gecko can lay up to 10-12 clutches that's a lot of babies to get stuck with if things don't work out. i hope you didn't take this the wrong i just noticed that you were young and hope you knew what you were getting into before you start.
I'm not breed leopard geckos. I like taking care of pets. I own 9 snakes :p

getkos

alright sorry I got confused I thought you were also planning on breeding the 11 geckos you planned on having by the end f the year.

Doggey75

So the plans aren't going well xD. I bought way to many mealworms then I can handle. Does anyone have experience keeping beetles and mealworms in the same bin? How is the rate of meal worms?

cricketlady

Doggey75

laurahlove

Oh man! That's a lot :eek: you could put an ad on craigslist for the mealworm beetles. I know I'd want them lol

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Doggey75

There is already tiny meal worms in on of my tubs. It seems like the Beatles are dying. So I'm gonna see what happens. I don't need a huge amount of meal worms. Just enough to fed 11 geckos in all.

cricketlady

The beetles die and the worms turn into them if you see worms that look weird and turning then take them out and put them in a new tub to start another colony. They will eventually eat all the oats you have and you should move them. But raising meal worms is about the easiest thing you can raise. Keep them dry and dark and they will live like forever. We put some in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and forgot about them over the winter in our garage and next spring we had a whole bucket full. :)

laurahlove

Yeah, mealworm beetles are hard to kill. Just make sure there some carrots in there are your good

Ink'd Out Geckos

ive seen a video where you would stack two tubs on top of one another. The top tub has its bottom cut out and a screen hot glued as the bottom of the tub. The bettles are too big to fall through the screen but the eggs and tiny worms would fall straight through. There is no bedding in the top tub just a carrot lol. The bottom tub has the bedding and all the baby worms. You can rotate bottom tubs as needed to allow them to grow out. It worked for me till I sabotaged my tubs with a potatoe.... stay away from potatoes lol

laurahlove

Yesss! That's what in planning on doing! Just haven't got the screen yet :) also works with those cheap plastic drawers from walmart

Visit our friends