need gecko anatomy information

Anakan2

I know that everyone says not to force feed a gecko due to the potential for aspiration but if my gecko won't eat, I feel like I need to give it a try. He won't lick his lips. The little stinker will actually wipe his face all over anything to get the slurry off. So, does anyone have a diagram of the inside of a geckos mouth so that I can be sure to avoid his respiratory system? A link to a site would be great. I googled and googled and couldn't find a photo or a diagram to save my life.

Thanks,
Jenny

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't have any diagrams, but it's just like our mouths: the esophagus is right behind the trachea (windpipe) and they both have openings at the back of the mouth at the top. If you can get a syringe in just a little bit and squirt some slurry into the front of the mouth it should be OK. The problem is in shoving a syringe in and trying to squirt stuff further back. In that case I don't think there's any reliable way to avoid the possibility of aspiration. Here are a few other suggestions that may help:

--start with really watered down slurry so it's pretty liquidy. Put a drop on his nose and see if he'll lick that off (you could even start with water and see if he'll lick that and then add a little slurry.

--I don't know the circumstances of his not eating, but I am dealing with a variety of not-eating issues with my own geckos and in my current experience I have found 3 different situations:

--the gecko is just not ready to eat yet (this is the case if it is at least 30-40 grams and not sick with anything: I have a super snow who is always a poor eater and had been 44 grams at best. She stopped eating for a few months, complicated by being on antibiotics for respiratory infection. She went down to 38 grams, would not let me shove any mealworms in her mouth and I really thought I was going to lose her. A few weeks ago, she changed her mind and is now eating 1-2 superworms a night and is up to 50 grams!

--The gecko is sick: not eating is usually a symptom, not the primary problem. Some of them are too weak and sick to eat and just won't until the primary problem is solved.

--the gecko is almost ready to eat. I have had cases where the gecko won't eat by itself but will let me feed it. Frequently it starts to eat independently eventually.

I hope this is helpful.

ALiza

JordanAng420

Okay. I got bitten about 16 times, and and i'm bleeding, but I got pictures of the the trachea for you. Give me a little bit to upload.

JordanAng420

Trachea is circled. These shots were taken when the gecko was breathing in. (inspiration)

trachea.jpg

trachea1.jpg

Chevalrose

I'd say if you have to force feed, your best bet would be to put the syringe in the side of the mouth and try to face it to the side. Otherwise maybe try to get small amounts at the front by the tongue.

By the way, great pictures Maia.

Last edited:

Anakan2

Oh my gosh. THank you SO much for the pictures and the advise. That is incredible. I am sorry you got bit. Incredible photo. That will help so much. I was under the impression that the trachea was at the 'bottom' of the mouth and with it being stated like that, I thought it might have been even under the tongue or something like that. Now I know exactly what I am dealing with. Gosh, you guys are unbelievable.
Jenny

Visit our friends