New Gecko Owner

K

kmc5

Hi all.

I have read many of the threads on here about five-six months ago. I am now ready to get a gecko - leopard. Actually, the gecko will technically be for my son. His birthday is May 30 and will be 11. He feels he is ready for his first pet.

A little history -- I have a 9 year old iguana that I got 5 years ago. She was sickly, neglected, angry, ignored, unwanted. I got her and she grew to 4'2", about 20 lbs., happy, free roaming, sweet, and quite spoiled! So now I feel the need to gather more lizards. I hope to pick up the gecko on Saturday.

I am a mom of 5 kids - ages 23 (b), 21 (b), soon to be 11 (b), 8 (b) and 8 (g). We have two large dogs, two guinea pigs, one mini lop rabbit, one iguana and three goldfish.

I do have one question. With igs, females are easier, what is the thought on geckos?

HillDog

Welcome to gecko forums!! These geckos are very tame animals if handled regularly. I think males and females are about the same, but I've heard people say males are more tame. I know mine is! Welcome to gf!

K

kmc5

We brought a leopard gecko home today, a small juvie. Very nice markings. Is there a place on the net that shows the different types of leos so I can closer identify the type we have. He/she is quiet active and funny to watch. I let the kids take turns holding it in their hands then into the cage it went to relax and settle down.

I will take pictures later this evening.

K

kmc5

Here is my new gecko. I see that it could be a girl. Can you sex them right away or do you have to wait a while.

K

kmc5

Thats what I thought. Iguana's are not sexed for a while either. We have been saying she. Somehow she looks like a she.

Ccrashca069

Hi and Welcome to Gf. All my leopard geckos female and male are all friendly and full of personality.
I think your leopard is a Hi-Yellow or Normal morph. Very cute. Good luck with your 1st of many more too come.

Ccrashca069

Lavendor is normally present in the Hi-Yellows. I would actually call it a Hi-Yellow Lavendor. I am actually working with some in projects. I have 11 hatchlings from those pairings right now.

Visit our friends