New Hatclings.

RocksMama77

I am so excited. My daughter checked the incubator this evening and she came running to tell me an egg had hatched. Well I went about the business of setting up a place for him/her. After putting it all together I went to get it out and to my surprise there were two hatchlings. I had never seen a baby so small and they are perfect. So far no deformities. I was so scared because the mama was not in the best of shape when she laid the eggs. Their eyes are bright and black, is this normal for little ones to have completely black eyes. I was also pleased when they didn't scream at me either. I am just so happy and had to share.

Jordan

black eyes is not NORMAL as such, however there is genetic trait called 'Eclipse' which is where a gecko has solid black eyes. This is genetic and so is passed down from the parents, so the parents must have been carrying the eclipse trait. so it is fine to get this. :)

MiamiLeos

Yay pics please! Also, on babies sometimes the eyes can look black but infact they are just really dark, the best eay to tell is to shine a flashlight in them. If they are still all black then you have some Eclipses there, if you can see a pupil and some veins then its just that the eyes are dark. Another way to tell if a hatchling is an Eclipse is if it has a white nose :)

RocksMama77

Yay pics please! Also, on babies sometimes the eyes can look black but infact they are just really dark, the best eay to tell is to shine a flashlight in them. If they are still all black then you have some Eclipses there, if you can see a pupil and some veins then its just that the eyes are dark. Another way to tell if a hatchling is an Eclipse is if it has a white nose :)

Oh, wow one of them have a little white dot on it's nose. But on closer inspection on of them seems to be missing an eyelid, and has the yolk sac attached. There is also some blood smears from the yolk sac. Is this normal or is he in distress. He is very active. I have him on wet paper towels, is there anything I need to do to help the little guy?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The best thing you can do now is regular newborn care: keep the enclosure moist by misting and try not to bother it. If it's just a yolk sac it will fall off soon. When it does, check the belly. If it was just the yolk sac, you will see that the "navel" is either closing or already closed. If you see a slit there with stuff still coming out, it may be an abdominal hernia where the "navel" opening is too big and the intestines start coming out. Some people have had success pushing the entrails back in and using skin glue (or super glue) to close the incision. I tried this once but found that there really wasn't enough extra skin on the baby, which was very small, to accommodate that so I had to put it down. As far as the eyelid goes, there has been extensive discussion on the forums about eyes and eyelids so you can do a search and see what you get. If you want any more info from me, PM me because I don't want to start the cull/don't cull thing back up again.

ALiza

Visit our friends