New Rescues

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't usually do this, but someone was referred to me by my local herp society (they call me any time something comes in about geckos). These two leopard geckos were abandoned by someone at a local animal hospital that doesn't have an exotics vet. The female (the superhypo) looks fine but the male (nice jungle) has swollen, barely open eyes. When I got him last night there was some clear, slightly bloody fluid coming from one eye. He's been getting some warm water irrigations and both have had a calcium and water paste rubbed around their mouths to get them some supplementation. All in all, they look pretty good (except for the eyes). The male is 37 grams and the female is 45 grams. They have a vet app't Tuesday evening:

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Thanks, everyone and Happy New Year. Assuming his outcome is good, there will be some adoption opportunities in the northeast . . .

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Good news from today's vet visit: I managed to get a feces sample and they are completely clean.

The vet thinks that the eyes are a problem because of dehydration (possibly due to high ambient temps --be prepared for a Gecko Time article about this next month, I hope, from my vet) and stuck shed. Fortunately the eyes are not crusty. I have oral antibiotics for the mouth rot, antitiotic cream for the eyes and instructions to do nightly warm soaks for a month. I'll post a "recovery" picture in a few weeks I hope.

Aliza

Visit our friends