New tank

Macularius613

Been keeping my gecko in a 10 gallon tank I got from a friend, but there isn't a lot of space and I know when she gets bigger it will be more cramps so I decided I would pick up 20L Zilla tank from the pet store I work at when they were on sale. After my discount it only came to about $25, which was so good I went and bought another one for my brother. I use the reptile carpet in the 10 gallon but heard a lot of good things about tiles on here so today I finally got around to going out and getting some slate tiles. Had to go all the way across town to Lowes because the Home Depot near my house doesn't cut tiles. Anyways, got them home and checked to see how they fit. Had to grind down the one on the end so it would fit properly but it fits perfectly now.

IMAG0833.jpg

Now, I should use a layer of sand under the tiles to fill in the pockets of air so it transfers heat better, correct? Also I wanted to try an Ultratherm heat pad because I heard some good things about them on here too. Would the 11x11 be a good fit? It should cover about 1/3rd of the tank right? Do the Ulatratherm heat pads stick to the bottom of the tank, or should I put it under the sand? Thanks in advance for any help with these questions, and feel free to give me suggestions on how to set up this tank.

Arizona Leos

I wouldnt use tile as it may cause burns to your gecko. I use paper towels and brown paper bags so they wint get impacted:) Nice tank by the way. You got an awesome deal!

kathstew

I've never heard of tiles causing burns on your leo?

I use tiles and my leos are just fine. You just gotta monitor temps, and even if the hot side became too hot the leo would get up and go to the cool side.

You can use sand to fill in the cracks, just make sure its not like huge spaces of open sand available to the leo. And don't use calcium sand, as they will go out of their way to try and lick it.

Also, do you mean a 20 gallon tank or 20 liter? If its 20 liters than you actually downgraded I think, as 20 litres is like 5.5 gallons.

I'm not sure about the heatmat. I use exo terra desert wave, and I also use the zoo med heat pad. I prefer the desert wave heat pad. Works great IMO. :)

grboxa

I wouldnt use tile as it may cause burns to your gecko. I use paper towels and brown paper bags so they wint get impacted:) Nice tank by the way. You got an awesome deal!

Geckos wont burn if you have a thermostat which everyone should have to regulate the temperature from there heating device. Tile is used by many, works great and has good heat distribution with no chance of impaction. Matter of fact, I also heard couple members on here stating there geckos have ingested some of the paper towel and had to switch, I have also witnessed mine take a chunk when I used paper towel.

Last edited:

Hankj

This might be helpful for you in the future. At the Home Depot around here they have tile that is "12 inches" and they have "6 inches". We bought two 12 inch tiles and one 6 inch tiles and it fit perfectly into our 20L.

Hankj

Geckos wont burn if you have a thermostat which everyone should have to regulate the temperature from there heating device. Tile is used by many and works great and has good heat distribution with no chance of impaction. Matter of fact, I also heard couple members on here stating there geckos have ingested some of the paper towel and had to switch, I have also witnessed mine take a chunk when I used paper towel.

I have a super snow that likes to shred up the paper towels in his humid hide. Sometimes I worry that he is eating some but I have never found any in poop.

GeckoDude31

Tile is the best substrate! If anything, paper towel is more dangerous as it can get too hot without proper temp control. Tile looks good, is easy to clean, andgives great belly heat.

Mikey17

What kind of tile are you guys talking about? Im new at all this so kitchen tile is what comes to mind lol. is that correct?

Dino

What kind of tile are you guys talking about? Im new at all this so kitchen tile is what comes to mind lol. is that correct?

Yes Kitchen tile you pick up at Home Depot/Lowes. They Have ceramic and Slate tile. I personally used ceramic. I also personally grouted my tile in so when i clean all i have to do it wipe it down and don't have to worry about tile slipping when i move the tank upside down. I also used grout under the tile to fill the air gaps for better heat transfer works great. My warm side stays at 94/95 degrees floor temp(measuring with heat gun):)

Dino

Also, do you mean a 20 gallon tank or 20 liter? If its 20 liters than you actually downgraded I think, as 20 litres is like 5.5 gallons. :)

I think he meant a 20 Gal Long its a 30 inch wide 20 gal instead of being a 24 inch wide 20gal tall!:D

Visit our friends