new to breeding-need some advice

UnDeRtOw00

Hey...i have 2 female in a 2 gallon long that are both gravid. One has laid her first clutch that were no good.. she pulled all the moss out of her laybox and pulled it into her hide on the hotside. After she did that i made a new box (large enough for both females comfortably) with a hole cut in the top so they couldn't move the moss around. Now the female that hasn't laid a clutch yet has basically taken over the laybox. The other female never goes in and im concerned she won't lay in it. I put her in it almost everytime i walk by but she just gets out. The male has been removed due to aggressiveness. My question is. Will females share layboxes? Should i make 2 small boxes instead of one big one? should the females be separated altogether? ANY ADVICE IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!

My Incubator and rack have been waiting patiently!

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
i tend to only use a single laying box in group cages. occasionally two females will lay their eggs the same day which can be confusing when trying to label/identify genetics. it's usually not a problem, in my experience.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree with 2 separate lay boxes if you need to. Maybe the female that's taken it over just likes it as a humid hide. I also keep 1 box in my group cages, though I took this picture last season and labelled it "uh oh". Luckily, when they hatched I could tell who was whose.

Aliza

FourEggs.jpg

UnDeRtOw00

thanks...i guess i'll try 2 small layboxes instead..it can't hurt. i just dont' like changing things all the time on them. Thanks everyone!

UnDeRtOw00

Yay....Put 2 separate lay boxes in...and she laid her second clutch this morning!! This time in the box! lol

ReptileWorld

congrats on the eggs. sometimes i notice the geckos just have a difference in preference and you just have to change things until they get it right.

I have always used 1 lay box for breeding groups but that just so happen to work for me. im glad using the 2 different box's worked for you. but dont be surprised if later down the line they do use the same box.

keep us posted on those eggs though. :main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends