Newspaper inc

rcain10

I've recently obtained a leopard gecko and have been keeping it on newspaper. When I showed the tank to the original owner he told me not to use newspaper because of the ink, yet I see people using it all over the place. Is there a special kind of newspaper to use? As of right now it's on your typical NY Times with color ink and all.

Last edited:

hamby92

i would ditch the newspaper all together and use paper towels if your going for the cheap route if not id invest in some tiles or repti carpet

grboxa

i dont want to be rude, but if you are that tight on money where papertowel isnt even an option you shouldn't of obtained a leopard gecko...what if it needed a vet visit?. Ditch the news paper and find a way to get papertowel..shouldnt be that hard to get a roll from somewhere.

Shan

i dont want to be rude, but if you are that tight on money where papertowel isnt even an option you shouldn't of obtained a leopard gecko...what if it needed a vet visit?. Ditch the news paper and find a way to get papertowel..shouldnt be that hard to get a roll from somewhere.

Agreed 100% - when I kept my leo on paper towels I only had to change them every few days or so at the cost of pennies. I can't imagine purposefully keeping an animal on a substrate that is substandard because it is free. I don't think it is fair to the animal.

grboxa

Agreed 100% - when I kept my leo on paper towels I only had to change them every few days or so at the cost of pennies. I can't imagine purposefully keeping an animal on a substrate that is substandard because it is free. I don't think it is fair to the animal.

and most of the times the gecko assigns a area where he releases feces..put a extra piece on that spot and wala.

rcain10

My apologies, its not that I don't have the money for paper towel (yes bad word choice on my part). I do have plenty to properly take care of my leo. If I were to use just paper towel I would need to have many layers to help insulate the tank so temps don't get too high. I like to keep it at 97ish on the warm side. So if I were to put a layer of paper towel over the newspaper would that be acceptable? Reason for asking is because my roommates are all sustainability freaks and they would be angry if I used thatto many, yes they really are that bad . Obviously if it was unsafe for my leo I would do I would ignore them do what's right for her. I did not mean to upset anyone and I assure you that my leo is being well cared for, and already on paper towel now. Thanks

Jusselin

dont worry about the "straight forwardness" of peeps here, they just love the leos like you and i =] glad to hear you are taking care of the situation though.....

JordanAng420

So if I were to put a layer of paper towel over the newspaper would that be acceptable?

I think that would be fine. There shouldn't be a problem with that. You're in Florida, Publix sells paper towels for about 25 - 50 cents a roll for their store brand. Just pick up an extra roll the next time you all go shopping.

JordanAng420

PS: I believe the only problem with Newpaper is a cosmetic issue...the ink gets all over their feet and can make them look like they just walked through mud...the ink itself, however I do not believe is toxic.

jermh1

last I heard most newspaper ink in the US is vegatable oil based and is non toxic. If I got the paper I would use it. I think not using it comes down to animal keepers voodoo. I use regular 8 1/2 x 11 used copier paper, and my gekos baisicly just poop on it, ill have to do a night time stake out to see if they are trying to lick the letters off.

Desdemona

Newspaper Ink is non-toxic, there are federal laws mandating it. A dirty looking gecko would be a side effect though, that ink will rub off. A lot of various pet people use it though.

Visit our friends