Now my local pet store is arguing with me!

Cosmo

on my previous posts about this, my friend/local pet store owner sent me and my son home with a pet gecko, sand,, a hide, a water dish, and a daylight bulb, nothing else! The leo was a small juvenile! now he is arguing with me about that not being the right set up! Well that leo died!

And the 2 i have now are thriving!

What do i do to get him to not make this same mistake again? he's not getting it!?

what an a-hole!

leezard

Sadly you will not get him to change until he kills alot more animals. There are people out there that read something in a book once and think it's gospel and absolutely refuse to listen to anything else.

Mention this site to him maybe if he sees it enough time he will get it but I have run into alot of people like the one you are talking about and they just can't admit they are wrong.

djm1093

basically tell him to come to this site and explore it unfortunitly pet stores aren't very knowledgeable about these ive never heard a situation where the store was of any real help

Cosmo

I did! now he's pissed at me because i told a guy at his store to not buy a mandarin dragonnette for his reef tank! Same situation as this! They require very specific care and a very seeded reef tank that is aged! i'm sure the guy ended up leaving with one and i'm sure it will be dead within a month! i'm more pissed at myself for trusting and not reading before i bought! lesson learned! i have a 5' red tailed boa rescue and a 1 yearr old pit bull rescue being dropped off this weekend! Getting sick of rescuing animals!

TranceZ

The guy obviously cares more about making business, I'm sure especially in this crap economy. So yeah steering away customers from any business might piss em' off. lol

stager

I did! now he's pissed at me because i told a guy at his store to not buy a mandarin dragonnette for his reef tank! Same situation as this! They require very specific care and a very seeded reef tank that is aged! i'm sure the guy ended up leaving with one and i'm sure it will be dead within a month! i'm more pissed at myself for trusting and not reading before i bought! lesson learned! i have a 5' red tailed boa rescue and a 1 yearr old pit bull rescue being dropped off this weekend! Getting sick of rescuing animals!

Yea those mandarins are expert only, i love them but way to hard to feed and keep alive

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
The problem with chains like Petco and Petsmart, they have very specific guidelines they need to follow set by their head office. They guidelines arent always looking out for the pets best interest.
I know for a fact that PetSmart gets pictures of enclosures from their head office, and have to recreative them to a T. This could be part of the reason they arent taking your advice.
Its not right, but thats how those chains work.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
Tell him that he'll save money if he takes proper care of them because if they all die he'll have to just restock them.

Cosmo

lol! i told him I'm going stricly onlinf from now on! And i'm gonna upgrade my tank to a 125g and let hime know that the $1-2000 that was going to take won't be spent in his stores! Lesson learned!

My droganette is doing great, but i seeded the tank for 6 months constantly with them and have a HOB fuge that i use to raise them! he seems happy so far, but i still order some more every month to make sure! That $20 fish has probably cost me $400 to prep for and $25 a month to feed!lol! Reefing ain't cheap!

Thx for the support!

leezard

I really want to applaud you Cosmo, you have gone above and beyond what many people in your situation would have! Sadly you have learned the hard way most pet stores only care about money and not the animal.

Cosmo

I really want to applaud you Cosmo, you have gone above and beyond what many people in your situation would have! Sadly you have learned the hard way most pet stores only care about money and not the animal.

Thx man! The sad part is he's kinda of an old buddy that is facing a hard time in this internet age! But damn, if you're not gonna listen to a friend and spend 10 minutes looking something up and continue to send live animals to their demise! i have a problem! i spend too much money fixing other rescue animal problems to watch it happen! turning into a grumpy old man!;) i was kinda hard on him due to my lack of reading! i was frustrated i didn't read, read and read! i got lazy, then i went and made another mistake of getting a male and female! So that's costing me MORE money, but i made the mistake, so i'll fix it! Now i'm ordering $50 of roaches to start a colony for them! lol! i;m starting to grow roaches on purpose! WOW! never thought in a million years i'd try to grow roaches! But hey. if you're gonna keep an animal in a cage, fulfill your moral vlaues to make it as good for them as you can possibly afford! Trust me these geckos will be in a mansion come maturity! i'm thinking a heat rope filled styrofoam rock garden!

leezard

Oh I understand, I am very old school, I drive a 71 Skylark as a daily driver, I am a mainframe (aka dinosaur) programmer. However I do understand the WWW has made your average idiot a genius on any particular subject you wish to spend time to research. It is a rare trait this day and age to hold onto your morals, again I applaud you.

Cosmo

Oh I understand, I am very old school, I drive a 71 Skylark as a daily driver, I am a mainframe (aka dinosaur) programmer. However I do understand the WWW has made your average idiot a genius on any particular subject you wish to spend time to research. It is a rare trait this day and age to hold onto your morals, again I applaud you.

Ths man, appreciated! i;m using these things as a learning tool for my son! the main thing that pissed me off is i took his word on how to care for it! and then had my 7 year old son do what he told him to do! And his pet died and he was heartbroken, leading me to rush the next decision! But its a life lesson, my son now has to read up before we get anything else and has to teach me how to raise it! Lil bugger is becoming more knowledgable with computers than me! now i feel like a mainframe dinosaur!lol good luck to you! just not sure why he doesn't understand, a simple i'm sorry and i corrected the situation would give him a few thousand in sales in the next year! Oh well! internet now will bring me 100% of everything but food!

Visit our friends