Ns incubator Hey Robin

I feel like the zoom thread was in danger of getting off topic so I thought I would reply to you on a new thread. Anyways I have looked at the NS incubators and they really look nice but I just can't see much difference between it and my mini fridge I built which has a herp stat on it. I have also heard alot of people say that fans cause there eggs to dry out but I really don't have that problem. I take a deli cup and poke one really small hole in the side ( unlike most people) then I add four or five hydrated water crystals to the bottom next I add perilite which has been hydrated at a .09% ratio and fill the cups 3/4 the way full. My perlite is near dry at 60 days when females are due to hatch but I don't have dents in my eggs. I really prefer the fan as it makes the air/heat in the unit stable from my top to bottom shelf with in 1 degree and it also helps get my temps back to normal when I open the door. You and I both know there is so many different methods in hatching gecko eggs. The hova worked great when I first used it although you can't use the fan that came with the hovabator as it generates to much heat, I have used computer fans in the past but this year I am using a fridge fan in my incubator as the computer fan bearings froze up and cause bad issues last year.

robin

i think if the fan is set up right and on a larger unit it works correctly. everyone i know, just loves their NS. the way i incubate is get some vermiculite and soak it in water. then i grab a handful and squeeze out as much as i can, put it in my deli cup with pre-punched holes. i fill it half - 2/3 full and tape up all the holes but maybe one of two. i have been doing this forever and it works perfect!

p.s. i have never used anything with a fan either.

Last edited:

TheWolfmanTom

Hi David,
I like the water crystal idea. Although I have always used robins method. I have been using the hovabators without the fan for years now. I reallt should break down and build a fridge incubator...lol

Visit our friends