Objectionable Ads

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I've got a bit of a question and I am hoping one of the mods can aim me in the right direction.

I ran across an ad in the classified section here that has me a little troubled. This ad did not contain anything that violated any of the rules, nothing illegal, no TOU violations. It was just advertising some animals in a fashion that I believe to be abusive. The advertised animals were legal, but there was an aspect of the ad which was unethical. Unethical in one of those... maybe someone might debate it, but it's pretty obviously a problem... kind of ways, though I'd predict consensus among the staff here (probably, anyway).

I can't respond to the ad to voice the problem.

I can't really start a thread in the ethics section without showing or linking to the ad in question, which violates the anonymity aspect enforced in that subforum's description. Even if I didn't name the person or link to the ad, a simple search would make it obvious.

I feel kind of weird reporting the ad, since it doesn't exactly violate the rules. I obviously feel that removing this ad, this time would be justified but I am uncomfortable using the report post feature like a weapon. It's too open to abuse on the part of users if we're told to just report anything we disagree with.

So, what should I do? Ignoring it having seen it is difficult, moral imperative and all that. My other options seem problematic though. Any chance I could get some direction here?

Visit our friends