One eye closed, swollen after shed

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Have you used the terramycin in her eye after doing the soaks to keep it lubricated and kill any possible infection she may have? The only other thing I could think of would be corneal ulceration but that would be kinda obvious and would present with a cloudy spot. How long have you been doing the soaks and how does the eye look now? Still swollen? Any discharge? is she eating any better?

Thank you pokersnake for the compliment :)

fl_orchidslave

Be patient with her, it took her some time to get in such poor condition and will take some time to recover. Especially the eye issue. It could take several sheds, or more even, to pull everything away from the eye. I would suggest not exposing her directly to bright lights, as that will cause her to stiffen up with stress when you put in drops or ointments. I have one with a long term eye issue, treated with antibiotic drops and ointment from the vet for 3 months- every day. She regained sight in one eye and sees shadow with the other. It still doesn't look normal 7 months later but there's nothing more to do for her but keep everything clean. I do mist a little on the sides of the warm end for her to drink daily, and she seems comforted by the humidity. She looked like she was on her last leg when I got her, but has a good life now. My vet even told me she may not make it. So, be patient with your girl and keep up her treatments :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Be patient with her, it took her some time to get in such poor condition and will take some time to recover. Especially the eye issue. It could take several sheds, or more even, to pull everything away from the eye. I would suggest not exposing her directly to bright lights, as that will cause her to stiffen up with stress when you put in drops or ointments. I have one with a long term eye issue, treated with antibiotic drops and ointment from the vet for 3 months- every day. She regained sight in one eye and sees shadow with the other. It still doesn't look normal 7 months later but there's nothing more to do for her but keep everything clean. I do mist a little on the sides of the warm end for her to drink daily, and she seems comforted by the humidity. She looked like she was on her last leg when I got her, but has a good life now. My vet even told me she may not make it. So, be patient with your girl and keep up her treatments :)

:main_thumbsup: :main_yes: absolutely agree. Healing herps is never a fast sprint. It's more of a marathon.

clockwurk

Thanks guys. This really made me feel better. I felt pretty hopeless with her today. I will continue with her treatments.

Dog Shrink, her eyes look pretty normal. A bit swollen but normal in every other way. My daily routine has been 1: warm bath. 2: Saline drops on her eye. 3: Terramycin. I repeat 2 and 3 at night.

She ate when I first got her, and got her to gain a bit of fat in her tail. But she has not eaten in a week or so. I did notice she drank the water I would mist her with at times when shes bathing... I was thinking of feeding her the leopard gecko puree ( mealworms, ensure, vits and cal, acidophilis..etc )

fl_orchidslave

The girl I was referring to above was not eating either, skinny as a rail and a heavy parasite load. I used the slurry/soup recipe up top in this forum section with her for 2 weeks, then she began taking worms. She was in such a bad way that I held off a week before starting her panacur so she could get used to eating again. Also, forgot to mention, she had big dry plugs of stuck shed in both eyes, saw the vet within 30min, he pulled them out and uncovered an ulceration in one eye. Thats the one that still looks funky. I need to get a new pic of her and post a before and after. Your daily routine sounds great :) You'll be surprised what the correct meds and proper care will do for her :)

Visit our friends