Ovulation, Fussiness or Something More Sinister?

Sprogog

First I'll cut to the chase and fill out the form:

About your leo
:
- Sex: She was bred for male but I now realise she is female
- Age & Weight: Two years, 105 grams
- How long have you owned your leo: A year and 3/4
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend): A hobbyist who also dabbled in breeding

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo: Four times a week, whenever she stands up at the front of the tank and gives me puppy eyes.
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. A lot more active in the daytime than usual. I took this to be her wanting more exploring time outside of her tank at first but she seems equally restless outside. She hasnt eaten in about three weeks which is the problem I'm having. I've been seeing/hearing digging behavior too which would make me think ovulation.
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. Absolutely none, always sheds like a little trooper. Has always been a bit of a sporadic eater.

B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) Normal
- When was the last time he/she went Two days ago but was 90% urate. She's never had any issues in this department.

C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on
Hasnt eaten in three weeks. It isn't concerning me too greatly at this stage although it is definitely her longest fast yet as she is a good weight, but I wanted to get a second opinion just to check.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size 12gallon low square
- Type (ex. glass tank) Glass Exo Terra
- Type of substrate Repti-carpet
- Hides, how many, what kind 1 cool, 1 moist and then one long log which runs the entire back edge of the cage across cool and warm sides where she always sleeps. It is because of her love for this spot that I never thought to invest in a third hide as it allows her to thermoregulate along the entie edge of the tank.

B) Heating
- Heat source UTH
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) 86.7 hot side as of this moment
- Method of regulating heat source Thermostat
- What are you using to measure your temps Digital Probe Thermometer
- Do you have any lights (describe) Nope but her tank is just beside my window so is undirectly lit all daytime

C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) None
- Describe health, or previous problems None

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) Mealies with occasional waxworms during fussy periods. I used to use roaches but she went off them and she isn't bright enough to catch cricks bless her.
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) Tong fed, dropped infront of her and left in bowl.

B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands) Zoo Med Reptivite and Calcium with D3
- What are you gut loading food with Cereals (wheatabix usually) and fresh fruit and vegetables.

So basically Artemis isn't eating and I can't think of anything I am missing really except possibly Calcium without D3 but if this continues I will invest in some. Let me know what you think! I can try to get underbelly pictures if it would help at all. :)

indyana

87 F is a little cool (warm spot floor surface should more stay 88 - 92 F), but that wouldn't explain the sudden fasting.

For the moist hide, is it full of a digging material so she could lay eggs? Usually slightly damp Eco-Earth is suitable.

Besides that, if she isn't dropping a ton of weight, not sure I would worry yet. As you mentioned, she could be ovulating and may lay some infertile eggs. Adults also can just not eat for a while. General rule is to not start worrying unless they've dropped 10% of their body weight.

Sprogog

I just checked the temp ranges on the hot side and it seems to fluctuate between where it is at now and 90 so I might have just caught it at a bit of a cool moment. At the minute in the moist hide she has damp paper towel, but I will head into the city this week sometime and find something diggable. Would sphagnum moss also work? (just incase they dont stock earth) Thanks :)

Sprogog

As an update, still not eating. Has been at least two months since he last took a feeder item I would say.
Everything above hasn't changed. Still passes urates regularly. His weight has visibly dropped now though.

What do I do now? Starting to become quite worried. :/

Neon Aurora

How much does the gecko weigh now?

Also, I'm confused because you said it was female but now you're calling it he? I would say it's probably likely she is ovulating if it's female. I've heard of females going off food for several months during breeding season.

Do you know how to check for ovulation?

Visit our friends