Pet Shops

MrLeoGecko

The bird Is The Word
So i went to a diffrent pet shop today because my usual pet shop was shut for the day and i noticed the leo's and to be fair they was in very good condition but then i stumbled across this poor leo (pic below) and my question is do pet shops provide veternary care if they get sick well i asked the pet shop owner what was a matter with him and he told me that it hadnt eaten in a while and if that was true its been a very long time since this poor leo had eaten he keeps all his leos on calci sand (he thinks its fine even though i told him what happens and he said he's never heard of impaction)
PET SHOPS NEED TO CHANGE THE LIVING CONDIDIONS OF THESE POOR ANIMALS!!! :main_thumbsdown
People shouldnt support pet shops in any way!

Last edited:

snakegirl

this is something you will run in to every so often and no matter what you tell the shops either about the sand,food,living conditions, or anything for that matter, they will not care. its just what can make them the next buck.the truth is it will be very rare if they even try to help that gecko. If something isn't done and you see this happen to a lot of there animals,tell them you will never come back again and Report them to your local animal shelter or whatever you may have. your the only voice they have. and i have reported a few pet shops and seen Improvement.

However i do know SOME pet shops that indeed take pride in there animals. and i Only shop there. so you must pick and choose and keep updated in whats going on around you. good luck.

D

dmfilkins1

DON'T BUY FROM A PET STORE. I bought a leo from a pet store about 5 months ago and she died last night. Just like the picture of the leo above, she stopped eating too and I tried everything, but couldn't save her. If you really want a gecko find a breeder, it's probably your best bet.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Sometimes pet shops just don't know what they're doing and sometimes wholesalers just ship them sick geckos that don't stand a chance anyway. In either case, there are obvious advantages to buying from a reputable breeder!

Greyscale_Geckos

Coming from "the other side" here... Good petshops will take their animals to vets, even corporate stores. But I want to echo what Mel said... Sometimes we are sent sick animals, and we have to deal with them. Stores who don't, are obviously not where you want to be shopping.

I know you say people shouldn't support petshops in any way, but think of the thousands of jobs that would destroy.

The solution here is to inform, educate, and protest neglective care and harmful/uneducated policies.

Also, just to add: If you see a store with improperly cared for animals, speak with the manager and then leave. Do not support any store that has conditions like this. That doesn't mean that all stores are bad though.

But yes, breeders are the way to go 100%. You can find some awesome ones here, on this very forum. Also you can check to see if there are expos in your area.

Last edited:

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
We just got back from a chain store that I wrote the corporate office about last year. The Leos are now on reptile carpet and looked awesome! They even had super plump tails on them. :) It's still best to buy from a breeder but it's nice to know that pet stores can change.

Visit our friends