Planning for Fat Tailks

GeckoCrossing

Okay, so I picked up a male and two females at the Daytona show, and plan to breed them next season and want to make sure that I'm ready for their picky eating habits. I have plenty of mealworms and dubia roaches, but I've read that they sometimes won't eat them and that crickets were the way to go.
I used to keep crickets in big 55 gallon Rubbermaid tubs, but the smell and, more often than not, dying off made me get rid of them. So I pose these questions:
Who do you get your crickets from and what kind are they (banded, gryllis, acheta?)
How do you keep them alive?

When I kept them I'd feed fresh veggies every other day, water crystals daily and fresh dog food/chicken mash mix every day. But still I'd have hundreds die overnight from some shipments and others do just fine with only a few dying.

Basically... how do you deal with crickets??? Lol

EverEvolvingExotics

A good majority of breeders feed roaches only and they don't have any problems. I wouldn't worry about keeping crickets unless you have to, I hate crickets with a passion.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you need to do crickets, here's how I do it:
I get my crickets from expresscrickets.com which ships next day air at good prices (I get 1000 3/4" crickets every other week and sometimes 1000 1/8" or 1/4"). I keep the 3/4" crickets in a 10 gallon tank with a gutload substrate. I have 4-5 lids of water crystals which I refresh as necessary a bunch of egg crate. I have some cricket deaths but not a huge amount.

Aliza

Visit our friends