Please help with heating...

yayo4ya

I am having a problem getting my temps to where I want it. I just finished setting up my tank for my 5 yr old(that was my excuse for getting it).

The background is my first attempt at making one myself. The substrate is sand with slate tile on top. The rocks to the left are just to cover the space between the slate and glass. The tank is next to a window that gets sunlight but not directly. The room is my son's bedroom in an partment building which gets heat pumped out all winter long and will be using an ac in the summer. I have a zilla uth on the right side of the tank. I bought two herpstat nd's to control temps for both the cold and hot side(too compensate for the uncontrolled apartment heat and ac).

I placed the herpstat probe on the tile above the uth and rested the hide on top of the probe. The herpstat read 90degrees which is what it is set to. however, less than an inch in any direction, and it drops down to 83degrees. Am I right in reading that the entire hot side of the tank should read 90degrees? Im thinking i need more of a aquare uth that will cover the entire bottom. I know i'll have to take of the new, current uth. I'm not sure if I could reuse it. I was thinking of getting a small one to use on the "cold" side to keep that at 80degrees.

Hopefully I can attach pics to this post. I have not purchased the actual gecko yet. I feel more comfortable if I can run everything for a week first to make sure everything is good. I also apologize for being so specific in details.

frontmx.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

topviewpc.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Russellm0704

looks like a great setup. i would take away to lamps. as long as the room naturally lightens up a little during the day then you are fine. Lamps will just stress them out

yayo4ya

Thanks. The two lamps acyually came with the tank. I may keep the one with the red bulb to see the leopard gecko at night...if I ever get the heating right. I just dont understand the uth. I think I may need a bigger one that not only covers 1/3rd of the tank from right to left, but also covers from front to back.

Visit our friends