Possible burned tail? What to do?

snoreway

I just realized my leopard gecko's tail is burned. It's the very tip, and it seems to be charred over almost, but not SUPER severely. It's not like crumbling off or anything. I see red near it too, but it's not actively bleeding or oozing, but the bottom is reddish colored. I'm really worried about my baby. He's one of two geckos I have. I'm not really sure how exactly it happened to him, and I was asking about some insight and ways to help it/treat it. He was in his hide (its a little tree hide with a bottom) on the warm side. He is always there, almost. I use reptile carpet and I have an under tank heater. I have a 20 gallon tank and the under tank heater is VERY VERY small and is on like 1/4th of the tank's bottom. I also use a heat lamp, and the temperature of the tank/air was around 80 degrees, so I grabbed an extra heat lamp today and put it on the top (we are having sub zero temperatures outside and the house is at 65) for around an hour (I would NEVER leave two on long term because of overheating, etc). The tanks air temperature was around 90 then. Could the heating pad have heated up the bottom enough even through reptile carpet and a hard wooden bottom of his hide to burn him? Could heat could have been trapped inside his hide?

What can I do about his burn? I can't afford going to the vets right now (I probably can in a week), and I am very worried. I would never do anything to hurt my leo's, and I love them very much. Anything that happened was a pure accident and I never want it to happen again. Please do not flame me for using a heat lamp either, or adding a second one for like MAYBE an hour. It was more likely around 45 minutes. Their tank was around 80 degrees and usually is never that low, so I was concerned. I'd never leave that lamp on for long, as I said.

Also, my other gecko seems to be completely fine. She was actually directly on the reptile carpet and touching the heating pad, so I'm not sure what is going on here. Also, somebody said something about the tip being dried up? I really don't know if that is it, but here is a picture of his tail. (if it is a bit shiny it is because i put some aloe on it.)

ALSO (sorry i keep adding little bits) he appear to be in no pain whatsoever. he is happy chilling out and walking around fine and is being his chipper self. he didnt appear to mind at all when i was checking out the tail either.

burn.jpg

additional information : he is around 7 months old, male, (i dont currently have a scale to get his weight) but he is in healthy condition, has a nice plump tail and belly, i give him vitamins and calcium daily, and is over all very healthy. he is caged with a 3 month old. he is pretty active. he also last shed around a week and a half ago and i don't remember the tail having any problems, so i doubt it's shed stuck skin.

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Are you measuring the floor temps or only air temps? The ambient temp is moot. It would also be very difficult for the UTh to get hot enough to burn a tail tip that badly.

Your geckos could be fighting. Males shouldnt ever be housed together, and a three month old should NEVER be housed with a 7 month old!!!

Do you leave crickets in the tank? Did he have a bad shed?

snoreway

Are you measuring the floor temps or only air temps? The ambient temp is moot. It would also be very difficult for the UTh to get hot enough to burn a tail tip that badly.

Your geckos could be fighting. Males shouldnt ever be housed together, and a three month old should NEVER be housed with a 7 month old!!!

Do you leave crickets in the tank? Did he have a bad shed?

I know you can't house male's together. I'm not sure what is going on but they actually get along well, They constantly cuddle (so it seems. just sleeping together) and never have shown aggression towards eachother. I know animals are unpredictable though... I have a spare 10 gallon, so I might move the little one into that tank, then. At least until it's old enough to be sexed. And no, I don't feed them crickets, I feed them meal worms so no chance of that.

I'll separate the two regardless, but I don't really think that's what went on... It really seems like a burn to me. I have topical antibiotics (with no pain stuff in it, so not poisonous) now, and I shut off the under tank heater for a bit. I really wish I knew what happened, but, I am using aloe and neosporin now to treat the tip. Hope my bubby is okay :(

Kylerbassman

I highly doubt it's the uth. You should try and get a temp reading right at the hottest spot on your floor(you can also feel the surface to make sure its not warmer then your body temp) If anything, turn the lights off and keep uth on. I would bet that tank is hot. 90 degree ambient temps are much lower then what surface temp will be (probably 95+ at surface) but removing the lights will help. Get a good infrared thermometer/temp gun and make sure your hot spot is around 92 ish degrees with cool spot 72 ish if it gets too hot, you will need a thermostat. (It's good to have them anyway in case of uth malfunction and or general heat fluctuations). I agree that separating them is a must wether sick or injured you should separate and definitely if you don't know sex. I also agree this is probably a bad shed or bite/abrasion as stated above. You can use Neosporin. Monitor it and if its not getting better get a vet visit ASAP. If you see any drastic changes in behavior also get a visit. If you fill out the health questionnaire in the stickies we can maybe see what could be contributing.

Kylerbassman

Also, sometimes dominant behavior can look like "snuggling" as one may lay on top and or try and steal a good spot in the tank. Even females can be aggressive towards other females. Hope that helps.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
A UTH wouldnt burn the entire tip, it would just burn the underside.
Ive seen a few wounds like this, most are fight wounds, bad sheds, or tails getting stuck in humid hides/decorations.
Sometimes we never find the cause.

It may heal over, but if it gets worse it needs vet attention. They may need to remove the dead tissue to prevent it from spreading. I wouldnt add anything to it. No aloe, no ointments - leave it to dry. Keep the tank clean and thats your best bet to fight infection.

Its a good thing that youre seperating them. I highly recommend you get a good thermometre so you can make sure you have accurate temp variations.

SC Geckos

Could it be a possibility that the tail got stuck in this "little tree hide"??
I agree with the other comments that I don't think it is a burn. I would also agree with separating these geckos due to there age (I assume size) difference, and because of the injury.
Just make sure you keep the enclosure and injury clean. Make sure your surface temp on the warm side is in range. You may want to switch out the carpet for paper towels at least until the injury is healed. He may end up loosing the tip of his tail but he should be fine. If the redness starts to spread farther up the tail it would be a good idea to see a vet in case of infection.

snoreway

Alright, thank you to all of you! I just noticed it today and it really seemed to happen fast and I got worried quickly. I put on some neosporin already, but, i'll let that dry off and then keep checking it to make sure its not infected. He's never had problems before (getting caught in stuff, shedding problems [i use shedding stuff on them, like a spray. i think its called easy shed]), so, we will see. I've also done months of research and such so I'm not just carelessly making mistakes. Sadly I don't quite have the money for a temp gun and my boyfriend said if the tail doesn't show signs of improvement he will take Mushers to the vet for me. :) Hopefully all goes well and I really, really appreciate the input.
I may not be a breeder or super fancy, but, this leo means quite a lot to me. So, thanks.

as for now after i let the wound dry out, i'll transfer the little to my boyfriend's house in the spare tank, and replace the substrate to paper towels. i'll post if he gets better or what's going on, if any of you are interested :p

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Zoomed sells a temp gun for $30.
You can buy a probe therm for under $10.
Its better than guessing
Good luck!

Kylerbassman

Temp guns at depot I think are like 7$ and I think you can get them for less online. If you want to save some money. You do need one though

SC Geckos

He's never had problems before (getting caught in stuff, shedding problems [i use shedding stuff on them, like a spray. i think its called easy shed]), so, we will see.

I have never heard of anyone using easy shed on a leopard gecko. I have used it on snakes in the past nut never on an animal with such delicate skin. Personally, I would stop using this product and provide a humid hide box if one is not already provided. Keeping this humid hide moist in combination with proper temps and diet he should not have any issues shedding.

Embrace Calamity

I know you can't house male's together. I'm not sure what is going on but they actually get along well, They constantly cuddle (so it seems. just sleeping together) and never have shown aggression towards eachother. I know animals are unpredictable though... I have a spare 10 gallon, so I might move the little one into that tank, then. At least until it's old enough to be sexed. And no, I don't feed them crickets, I feed them meal worms so no chance of that.

I'll separate the two regardless, but I don't really think that's what went on... It really seems like a burn to me. I have topical antibiotics (with no pain stuff in it, so not poisonous) now, and I shut off the under tank heater for a bit. I really wish I knew what happened, but, I am using aloe and neosporin now to treat the tip. Hope my bubby is okay :(
It's good that you're separating them, but I just want to point out that leopard geckos don't "cuddle." That "cuddling" is actually usually one dominating the other. When they do that (especially if one's on top), it's a warning sign of problems, not a sign that they get along. I second that this is likely an injury. Hopefully it will heal well now that they are to be kept apart.

~Maggot

Visit our friends