Possible great invention. Need help.

russe306

I am trying to find the perfect material for my invention idea.

I am looking for something that can handle heat like glass can, can be on the cheap side like wood and is light like plastic.

Can anyone give me an idea of different type of materials that fit that description or is close to it. The most important thing is it must handle heat; a heat pad/ tape etc.

Thank you.
-angie

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
Plexiglass would still melt at high temperatures. You said handle heat tape. Plastic can easily handle the heat from heat tapes. This has been proven a million times over by anyone using plastic tubs in a rack, and some companies even make racks that are completely made of plastic.

nater

I am trying to find the perfect material for my invention idea.

I am looking for something that can handle heat like glass can, can be on the cheap side like wood and is light like plastic.

Can anyone give me an idea of different type of materials that fit that description or is close to it. The most important thing is it must handle heat; a heat pad/ tape etc.

Thank you.
-angie
When you say handle heat like glass, do you mean that it has similar characteristics (heat transfer) or just that it tolerates heat without damage?

And what's the high end temp that you're looking to use?

You said nothing about whether or not it needs to be transparent, so I'm assuming not. My first though was corian, though it looks to be pricier than I thought, and doesn't hold up to your weight requirement (its over twice the weight for 1/4" sheet vs plywood). Its easily worked with though.

Remember me when you make it big.

As usual I was overthinking things. Have you thought of fiberglass or carbon fiber?

Last edited:

russe306

I wanted to avoid plastic if at all possible. I would like it to be clear if possible also.

The item would ideally be able to handle heat like glass ; example like tanks with a heat pad on the bottom. The surface doesnt get too hot for the gecko but warms up without a problem.

Thank you for the ideas and replies.

-angie

JordanAng420

I just built a monitor cage and I used something called "backer board" it's also called dura rock....it's kinda like concrete but a lot lighter and is easy to cut with a knife.

nater

Lexan, its an upgraded version of plexi glass that is scratch resistant and does not fade or yellow like plexi glass.

Some info for your reading pleasure:
http://www.professionalplastics.com/LEXANSHEET9034
I'm pretty sure that UV will cause polycarbonate plastics to yellow and become brittle. Takes a while though. Also, it doesn't transfer heat well.

That it has to be clear is cutting down on your options quite a bit.

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
Automotive grade lexan,
Polycarbonate resin,
If it can be semi flexible like plastic then silicone carbonate,
Does it have to be rigid? There are many things in the construction field you can use if you find a good connection. Lots of new things coming on the market. Is your invention something you can have injection molder?

russe306

I am sorry I can not say much more. Thank you for the help. I will say that it is something that will be very nice for all lizard owners to have.

theCREECH

uuuhhh..
cheap
clear
not glass
not plastic

good luck.

Make a quick prototype with explanation that it won't be the final materials, that way you can test it to see if its viable and others can decide wether its a great idea or not. Sounds like this is something that would have to be made rapidly too.

Cosmo

there are plastics that won't melt at very high degrees! My bro in law is a chemical engineer for a company that makes high temp plastics for aircraft/medical uses! 'But without more insight as to functionality, who the heck knows? transparent is the main problem here, otherwise options are limitless!

RedBlaze

The problem I see with this is that, Glass and plastic are ideally the "best" two clear materials. An option that I know counter tops are sometimes made out of is resin. You can mix it up and pour it to mostly any thickness you want. It should be able to handle the temperatures that are suitable for a gecko. Assuming that's what this project is for...

Visit our friends