Posting Comments to For Sale Adds

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Is this really appropriate? I mean, if you have questions, comments, inquiries about a "For Sale" post, shouldn't you be sending a P.M. to the person that's selling? I think it's really unfair to the seller if someone is posting their general opinions or comments about the item, and in turn distracting what may be a potential buyer from the item up for sale. If there's a question about the legitimacy of what's up for sale, shouldn't we just be contacting the forum member and maybe a moderator or administrator? It's just something that's kinda bothered me since I joined, and I think we really need to be fair to everyone. Just my $.02. :)

J

jmkbama

I agree with that as well. When I have a question, I PM the person about the ad. As a newbie it is discouraging to see the comments and questionings about an ad. Makes it hard to decide what to potentially buy. I wouldn't think any of the people posting those type of comments would appreciate that being done to them if they were running the ad.

I like the healthy, though sometimes heated, debates in the other sections. I think newbies like me can learn a lot in those threads, but agree it shouldn't be moved in to the classifieds.

Just my OPINION, not necessarily the opinion of others.

robin

doesnt some of the comment in the threads keep the seller honest and let a potential buyer in on what may or may not be?

BalloonzForU

robin said:
doesnt some of the comment in the threads keep the seller honest and let a potential buyer in on what may or may not be?

Yes but could ruin a classified by someone that's just out to get them or even a newbie that doesn't really know and asks a inocent question. Maybe question such as those should be brought up in the business section?

Edit: PS I really don't mind positive comments about the animals being sold. However questions about the deal should be PMed.

KelliH

I agree, this is something that needs to be addressed. The admin and mods will discuss this topic and report back soon.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I don't think it's a big deal as long as the comments aren't negative. This is a forum afterall... If it's a problem maybe disable the reply function...

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Sensative Subject

You know, when I started this thread, I knew that some would be for and some would be against. And there are good arguments on both sides. Believe me, it was difficult for me to come up with a first post that I was comfortable with. But overall, I think the buyer really needs to be aware and thoroughly read the add before they commit to a purchase. Not that GeckoForums.net should be like other forums, but the ability to post a reply to a classified add is not the norm in any forum that I'm aware of.

And also, what purpose does a "Trader Rating" then have? Isn't that the whole reason in having it in the first place? I think that alone can be a VERY powerful tool for ANY buyer, new or experienced. Thanks to the mods/admins for your consideration!!! :main_thumbsup:

Last edited:

robin

allot of people do not have any trader rating. maybe they are just starting out. i have seen on other websites where the worst people can get large trader ratings. what about misleading ads? ones that they claim to have something they do not. it is something known. but a potential buyer doesnt. what let them get screwed? oh yeah i can hear it now " oh, i bought this normal gecko for $400 off a seller on geckoforums.net . i though it was something special when i bought it but i later found out it wasnt. i paid $400 dollars for a 40 dollar gecko because at the time i did not know any better"

and by this time the buyer may have already given the seller good trader rating because the gecko arrived on time and in good condition.

robin

as i see it. the comments can keep the seller honest and let potential buyers know what is going on. if they chose to buy then that is their choice but the info in there laid out.

brandy101010

I think you sould have the option of locking a thread after posting an add. If you don't want comments lock it. If you don't mind leave it unlocked. this way that seller can choose.

robin

brandy101010 said:
I think you sould have the option of locking a thread after posting an add. If you don't want comments lock it. If you don't mind leave it unlocked. this way that seller can choose.

what if the seller knows what they are posting is questionable?

Scott&Nikki

I agreed that there should be no comments, but I think Robin makes a good point. I havent paid close enough attention to these ads to see who usually posts them, but I am sure there are some people that post ads who many of us do not know. In cases like this, I don't see how questioning what we might see as a potential problem is a bad thing. If the seller is trustworthy, they will respond with an appropriate response and the comment should be disreguarded anyway.

EDIT: If there is something innapropriately written in these cases, what about just having the option of reporting the post so the mods can figure out what is best?

Last edited:

brandy101010

Hmmmm....Maybe if you find an add to be questionable you could post in in the business section? or PM them personaly and inform them.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
I don't want to offend anyone with this, so please don't misconstrue this as some sort of prodding. I was just wondering if there was some sort of update on this? Any changes in mind that you can maybe entitle us to? This is obviously directed at the mods/admins. Thanks in advance! :)

Val

I think an email was sent out about the new policy, so I'd check your email that you signed up with. The ability to post comments in the classifieds has been turned off to everyone except the original poster.

Visit our friends