Providing UV lighting to geckos

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Hi everyone,

While I was researching on beardie needs, I asked Frances of UV Guide UK about leopard geckos and UV lighting; and she gave a very detail view on how she feel about the importance to provide weak UV for our geckos. I personally do believe providing a source of weak UV is better than us supplementing their food. There had been many discussions on how much to supplement, how often, with D3 or no D3, etc. Its almost impossible to tell whether we're doing everything "just right". So, why not let the geckos take control, just like they would in the wild?

Here is the link to her reply to me: http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/message/7249

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think there are a number of different ways to do it, just like some people provide UV lighting to day geckos and some people don't but provide enough D3. I think it should be fine, though personally I don't do it, mostly because my tanks are front opening and there's no room for lighting on top of them and also between the number of outlets I'd need and the cost of changing all those lights every 6-12 months, I'd go broke in no time.

Aliza

Visit our friends