pupa

bjleemkuil

Uhh...I'm sure they could. Just like they can eat the beetles, but the beetles bite. Why would you want them to eat the pupa? I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea, more brittle skin??? I'm not sure. But I'd stick to what you know for sure is good for them. better safe than sorry right?

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
I had a bunch of pupa from my mealworms, and I figured it was worth a try. My male enigma, Wrex, seems to like them even better than the regular mealworms. Maybe it's because it's something new, or maybe it's because they move around less (his enigma symptoms make it a little more difficult to judge where his food is). Either way, he ate 8 of them tonight, after having refused the first two plain mealworms I tried to feed.

Last edited:

Landen

LSReptiles
they're just like the burnt crunchie chips in the bottom of the bag. Mine have ate them before no problems.

mindgamer8907

There are no health problems with eating the beetles or the "aliens" (as they are sometimes called). The "brittle skin" (chitinous exoskeleton) is not a big deal if your husbandry is correct, though it is a good idea to stay away from feeding them as they molt from worm to alien and then from alien to beetle. Of course the molting scare is kinda up in the air, but why take the chance.

One of my geckos has taken to them particularly and has been eating them like crazy and gaining weight like crazy because of them (shes been on the aliens for about a month and a half). If you run low on mealies, both are good substitutes, and the beetles biting is like saying crickets bite. It only becomes a problem if you leave them in with the gecko for extended periods of time... which is a big no-no. In fact, for your enigma, this would be a good choice, just make sure they don't reach full maturity. What I have found is that, the fresh white beetles are both slower and softer than crickets. You may want to try to feed that to your enigma as well, the slow movement may be a treat for him, and the white seems to make my leos really frisky and excited to hunt.

Visit our friends