Question about Feeders/Feeding

Chevalrose

Alright...there is a lot of different information about how to feed, what to feed, etc...so...here are my questions.

1) I was planning on having a staple of mealworms or superworms and then alternating crickets and roaches every other week or two. Does that sound like a good idea?

2) If I did that...I would probably keep a general supply of mealworms in a dish in the tank...but when would I feed the crickets or roaches?

3) Also, should I dust the mealworms with Calcium + D3 or maybe just crickets or roaches when I feed them?

4) Also if I did this, how many crickets, roaches, and mealworms would I probably buy at one time? Say if I buy them every week?

and finally...
5) How long can I keep any of these critters before they breed or turn into other critters?

Thanks again guys!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It is always a good idea to offer a variety of feeders, though there's no guarantee that the gecko will like all the feeders.

Keep a supply of mealworms in a bowl (I sprinkle supplements on top of them in the bowl) and feed the crickets/roaches every day for a juvie under 30-40 grams and every 2-3 days for a bigger gecko

How many to buy depends on how many the gecko eats in a week. As far as I understand, crickets live about 9 weeks (I may be off here) from hatching to death. The really big ones with wings are at the end of their lives. If they are kept with gutload, good ventilation and hydration that doesn't drown them, they should last for a few weeks. Mealworms and superworms could use a better gutload than what they come from the petstore in.

Aliza

thegeckoguy23

Ok first off hellow im from NH to nice to see more and more ppl from NH come on here well i well start answering for u

1. Yes having a stable of mellies and supers sounds very good and then feeding roachs and crix every other week they might not eat but they probaly well

2. And you just let the crickets jump around no bowl and the roachs u can put in a bowl but is easy to just let them hunt it down outside of a bowl but i have only feed roachs 2s

3. Well heres my genral rule of thumb dust with D3 every other feeding

4. Well how many geckos do you have well heres another tip just feed your geckos as much as they well eat in a 5-10 min period.

5. supers well not ever go into a pupa if u have them with other supers if you separate the supers they well pupa and mellies put them in the fridge and they well not have to eat and it well take like 9 months i think for them to pupa in the fridge you might want to take them out from the fridge for like 1 hr every other week so they can eat they well not eat if they r in the fridge

Visit our friends