Question about when to mix babies with adults?

Alwayshotroddin

Hi everyone,

I currently have 5 Leos. I have 2 adults and 3 babies. The adults are housed in a 59 gallon tank and the babies are currently housed together in a smaller tank. My babies are starting to get bigger and one in particular is growing faster than the others. I was wondering, at what size/weight can I mix him with my adults? I'm pretty sure I have 2 adults females, so no worries there, but I don't want them to hurt the baby either since they are bigger. My largest baby is about half the size of my adults and will soon outgrow his baby tank! Just wondering what all of your thoughts are. :) Thanks!

Kecia

Scott&Nikki

Well, don't put them together until you are sure of their sexes. You shouldn't put them together until they are the same size, or at least the same weight. Even then you need to watch very closely to make sure no bullying is taking place. Also, are you ready for them to breed? If you start housing adult males and females together you have expect that.

brandy101010

I would not mix babies and adults period no matter what the weight or sex is.
If all your leos are going to eventually be in the same tank they need to all be adults of the same sex, unless you plan on breeding then only one male in the tank with the females. If you put a young male in with adult female he will soon start breeding with them and he is too young to breed and that could cause problems. Wait untill your babies are bigger and sexable to put them in the main tank. untill then, seperate the babies by weight into different tanks. watch out for bullying. good luck.

brandy101010

Sorry when I said "they need to all be adults of the same sex." I was refering to only females. never house males together.

Scott&Nikki

Yeah, and when I said "when they are the same weight", I meant that as "when they are also adults" I thought that was clear, but I guess not. Sorry about that.

ReptileMan27

Like already said, never more then 2 males, and all females unless you are trying to breed. Aslong as their close to the same size, females generally are fine together but keep an eye on them and be prepared to seperate them in the case of bullying.

Alwayshotroddin

Thanks guys for your help. I have a second larger tank ready to go just for the reasoning that I may have more than one male. If my one baby gets too big for his smaller tank and it gets overcrowded then I'll just put him in the bigger tank by himself until I know his sex and he is the same size as my adults. I am ready to breed also. I expected that and that's why I have 5 geckos. :) Lets just cross our fingers I don't have all males! Yikes!

GoGo

I'm Watching You
Yea in one tank its never more than ONE male. Unless your a horrible person who thinks lizard fights to the death are entertaining when done on purpose.

brandy101010

Scott&Nikki said:
Yeah, and when I said "when they are the same weight", I meant that as "when they are also adults" I thought that was clear, but I guess not. Sorry about that.

Your post was clear. Sorry if it sounded like I was contradicting you, I thought you gave good advice, I was just adding my 2 cents lol. :)

Scott&Nikki

brandy101010 said:
Your post was clear. Sorry if it sounded like I was contradicting you, I thought you gave good advice, I was just adding my 2 cents lol. :)

Lol ahh alright. I guess I got confused thinking you got confused.....whoa haha.

Anyway, if you post pics of your leos "private areas" I am sure we can help you.

C

crs

I would say if you are ready to breed, all the animals are healthy enough to breed, you dont have more than one male per cage, the baby leo is large enough to breed, and it is the same size as the others, then maybe you could put it into the larger cage. But I would be positive about everything before doing anything, good luck to your breeding.:main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends