Question regarding second gecko

ericsvizeny

Hello,

I have a 10yr old fat tailed leopard gecko (female), she has lived alone her whole life. Do you think that it would be possible to get her a friend and have them live in the same tank? The tank is HUGE, and I mean HUGE, plenty of space for a second one. Just wondering if it would be safe to do this? I would be planning on getting a younger one obviously.

Thank you,
Eric

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As a side note, do you have a leopard gecko or a fat tail gecko? It doesn't matter actually as far as your question goes. This is what you'd have to do:

Get another gecko (female) of the same species that is (or will be) close to the same size as the gecko you already have.

Quarantine her in a separate tank for at least a month

Introduce them and see what happens. Make sure they don't nip each other, that both, after an adjustment period are eating and that no one is losing weight.

If it works, you're fine. If not, be prepared to have them permanently separated. (If your tank is that big, you could always divide the tank, though quarantine in a separate tank first)

Aliza

ericsvizeny

As a side note, do you have a leopard gecko or a fat tail gecko? It doesn't matter actually as far as your question goes. This is what you'd have to do:

Get another gecko (female) of the same species that is (or will be) close to the same size as the gecko you already have.

Quarantine her in a separate tank for at least a month

Introduce them and see what happens. Make sure they don't nip each other, that both, after an adjustment period are eating and that no one is losing weight.

If it works, you're fine. If not, be prepared to have them permanently separated. (If your tank is that big, you could always divide the tank, though quarantine in a separate tank first)

Aliza

Thank you for the great advice!

- Eric

ericsvizeny

Like I just said in my previous post:

"It's roughly about 5 foot long, by 2 foot high, and 3 foot deep."

It's def. not a small tank.

Dimidiata

Should be fine for 2 ladies to share, probably more, though, im not sure entirely about Fatty sororities or if the differ from leos. If it doesnt work out with them it can easily be split 1-2 times. Be sure to QT the new girl for a little while.

ericsvizeny

Should be fine for 2 ladies to share, probably more, though, im not sure entirely about Fatty sororities or if the differ from leos. If it doesnt work out with them it can easily be split 1-2 times. Be sure to QT the new girl for a little while.

Yup, I was planning on quarantining the new one for a month, like one of the previous posters had told me to do. Let's hope they get along!

- Eric

AmyChris

I have two young females about the same size that are in the same tank. The sleep in the hides together and snuggle. When I got sugar the new one I put her small cage and set it in Leah's cage so they couldn't get to each other but could see each other. However I forgot to put the lid on sugars cage the first. Night and woke up to Leah in with Sugar sleeping in the hide together. So much for quarantining

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
After an adequate QT period, 2 female Fat-Tail Geckos should be fine house together. In a tank that big I would worry about stressing them out. If we're talking about housing a Leo and a Fat-Tail together, then no, it wouldn't be a good idea.

Visit our friends