questions about Pacific Green and Atomic morphs

wsumike87

:main_huh:Seen people label leos this and want to clarify what they actually are. I believe that pacific greens are tangs with a hint of green which could be considered emerines. I have seen pacific greens as adults and they have looked like shtct with little to no green hue. I also have seen atomic and it just looks like a branding of tang. Both look really nice and just doing research for future projects and want to know what I might cross into my tang line (if I decide to breed them). Any help would be appreciated.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Well I know Kyle personally and I can honestly say that I have seen some PG that are some of the best Tangs I have ever seen. Are they all that amazing...NO. Anything that is polygenetic is going to have quality variance and not everything is going to be amazing. More often then not you are seeing crosses being labeled as PG, Electric, Blood, Torrid, etc. because people love to label(lying if you ask me) that their geckos as being something regardless of percentage of the bloodline present. If you are going to pick ANY line of Tangerine to add into your collection I would get it from that breeder directly, or ensure that whoever you buy from can prove their lineage on their breeders and their origination.

Another thing to remember is a breeder will only display 10% or so of animals from a specific project. If you believe that EVERYTHING looks as good as what they post then you will quickly learn that once you breed them. I can name a few lines of Tangerine that are AMAZING baby/juvis but terrible adults.

DrCarrotTail

I agree with Travis that labeling is a way to make animals more attractive to buyers and not necessarily a description of color or quality. Often the branding only tells you which line the gecko is from but not the quality of that gecko. Being from a specific line would harbor the potential to express the fabulous genes seen in high quality examples from that line but not necessarily any guarantee that the color is genetically possible.

Whether or not two types of tang work well together would depend on whether the genes that determine the color are related or not. For example if you breed a PG tang with an atomic tang and the genes are located on the same allele you may get even better tang expression. If they are not located on the same allele you may get reduced expression and a "normal" SHTCT. This takes time to figure out and IMO - this is what makes polygenic traits fun and exciting to work with!

Visit our friends