Quick Question(s)! heating pad vs. repticarpet?

n3wport

Im just trying to get it right ASAP. There is a leopard gecko that is very skinny in the back of this Aquarium store. Im going to try to get them to give me him for a discounted price, but I want to get the cage and everything set up first, and correctly.

I am new to Leopard Geckos, and I have the whole bearded dragon type mentality with ya know, all the lights and such. I am going to buy an "Ultratherm Heat Pad" for my 20 gallon. What would be a good size for that? Half the tank floor, correct?

Also, in conjunction with this heating pad, should I use a low wattage light?

Do you keep the heating pad on even during night? I have read that a repti-glo moon bulb is good for night (not a red color, more so blueish)

I've read in a few places that Repti-carpet is fine, and in other its 'horrible'. What do you use with your heating pad (I do not like sand, so hopefully something other than sand or paper towels) I was hoping tiles would still work without blocking heat to the surface. But honestly I like repti-carpet.. hmm

Let me know what kind of lights / heating pads you guys use! Remember, I have a 20 gallon (long) :)

Thanks so much for your time!

Last edited:

hamby92

for heat mats 1/3rd of the tanks floor is the general rule. you can use a light with a timer if your tank doesnt have accsess to light from a window to provide the nessecary photo period. you should keep the heat mat on 24/7 and you can use a heat bulb if the temps arent high enough. as for the substrate i would highly recomend tiles i used to use repticarpet but its harder to clean and the tiles will radiate the heat from the heat mat just make sure you have thermometer with a probe laying on top of the substrate to make the sure the temps are right. as for the gecko i would make sure it looks healthy before you buy it never buy a sick looking gecko just because you feel bad for it as it could turn into a huge exspense

n3wport

for heat mats 1/3rd of the tanks floor is the general rule. you can use a light with a timer if your tank doesnt have accsess to light from a window to provide the nessecary photo period. you should keep the heat mat on 24/7 and you can use a heat bulb if the temps arent high enough. as for the substrate i would highly recomend tiles i used to use repticarpet but its harder to clean and the tiles will radiate the heat from the heat mat just make sure you have thermometer with a probe laying on top of the substrate to make the sure the temps are right. as for the gecko i would make sure it looks healthy before you buy it never buy a sick looking gecko just because you feel bad for it as it could turn into a huge exspense

Thank you! What should the prob read for the ground temp?
Also, what type of tiles do you use?

Joao

v Snowflake v
I would advise against using repticarpet. It's not fun to watch your Leo get its mouth and nails stuck all the time.

Owens

Island Reptiles
Tile has been my best friend thus far. When I set up a new home I don't use paper towels at all for the first few days, this gives my leo time to find his "washroom". Once he/she has picked their potty corner I use paper towel in that area to make clean up really easy :)

As for temps, hot side on the ground 90-95.

Hope it all works out and you rescue the little guy/girl

Echo29

I agree, I use to use reptile carpet and I'm switching all my tanks to tile. The first time you see your leo trying to unhook his jar from the carpet for 10 minutes it changes your mind. It is a pain to get tiles that match up to your tank without access to a wet saw. Just don't get slippery tile. Like the stuff you would have in a shower. I use stone tile with edges. And clean up is so much easier. I put a napkin in whatever corner they go to the bathroom in. Check the DIY section. Someone tiled their tank with broken tiles. They bought tiles and broke them up and made a mosaic. Super sweet! Reptile carpet comes in brown and green. Wow what a choice.

Last edited:

Dimidiata

For temporary(or permanent, but its not pretty) housing use newspapper(although repticarpet never bothered rango) and replace it weekly. You want the hot side to read 90-93 and the cool side at the upper
70s. Provide a water bowl and 3 hides. 1 hide on the cool side. 1 hide on the hot side and 1 moist hide on the hot side(can be done via wet papper towels). A thermometer is a must(digital probe, not air temps) you want ground temps. Light isnt nesseccary so long as the tank lightens up during the day and darkens at night, i have indirect window light, works fine. Be sure you have calcium,calcium with 3D and vitamins. Mealies and crickets will be needed, he may eat on but not the other. I would keep some Q-tips on hand, if hes been in poor care chances are he has some stuck shed. Use a wet Qtip and a warm soak to remove(the humid hide should prevent future issues).

JeffDenver

Also, in conjunction with this heating pad, should I use a low wattage light?

I didnt at first, but I found that using a lamp will keep temperatures a lot more stable. I started with just a heating pad, and it was good enough, but my Gecko never came out of hiding because the ambient temperature was 70 degrees (though there was a gradient on the floor going up to 90...which I have been told is all that really matters).

I added a lamp (a small one with a blacklight bulb) on the left side, and now there is a consistent and stable gradient through the entire tank. The gecko seems much happier. She seems to hang out mostly in the middle.

Visit our friends