Raising Hatchlings

kkigs

I have successfully hatched my first fat-tail babies, a white-out and a patternless... and NOW WHAT??? I have them set up similar to leopard geckos, in a simple shoe box with paper towel and a styro hide. I'm worried that dehydration could be a problem, and am misting the cage every morning, but more worried that they simply aren't going to eat.

Any tips/tricks/suggestions? Any help would be quite appreciated!

kkigs

Yep, they have mealworms and I've given them a few crickets, which appear to have been eaten. Obviously I'd like them to take off on mealworms, but am curious as to what others do during these early stages of development.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I keep them in 6 qt tubs with a hide and a water dish. I don't use paper towel because it gets wet. I mist every evening and feed crickets. I don't bother with mealworms because neither do they. I have found frequently that baby fat tails go through a period where they don't eat much and sometimes their tails get kind of thin. I got really worried the first time this happened, but I kept offering food regularly and eventually they all started eating and did fine.

Aliza

NinjaDuo

I keep them in 6 qt tubs with a hide and a water dish. I don't use paper towel because it gets wet. I mist every evening and feed crickets. I don't bother with mealworms because neither do they. I have found frequently that baby fat tails go through a period where they don't eat much and sometimes their tails get kind of thin. I got really worried the first time this happened, but I kept offering food regularly and eventually they all started eating and did fine.

Aliza

Most of my fatties love supers and mealies. I've noticed that this is more of a rarity. Do you feed crickets and nothing else?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I pretty much feed entirely crickets. Some of them like silkworms which I get about twice each summer. Occasionally some of the babies eat mealworms but it's not common. I had one fat tail that had a swollen liver (took her to the vet) and I hand fed her for the 10 months she survived with the condition. I'd frequently feed mealworms because they were easier and she took them. I don't do roaches.

Aliza

kkigs

Thanks for the responses... I don't keep crickets on hand so it poses a bit more of a challenge. I may have to start, though, unfortunately. Fat-tails are interesting; three of my older animals are great on mealworms, but two others are seemingly disinterested, including the mother of these hatchlings.

Wild West Reptile

Leopards AFT Ball Pythons
If your gonna keep fat tails, the easiest way is crickets unfortunately. Mealworms can be done, but not all will do it. I've yet to raise one that won't eat crickets though. I do crickets, roaches, supers and silkworms. Not all will eat the supers bit everyone will eat the other three.

NinjaDuo

If your gonna keep fat tails, the easiest way is crickets unfortunately. Mealworms can be done, but not all will do it. I've yet to raise one that won't eat crickets though. I do crickets, roaches, supers and silkworms. Not all will eat the supers bit everyone will eat the other three.

Chris the whiteout just pound 3 large crickets and a few pinheads

Visit our friends