Red spot - bad shedding

Gojira_0429

I have a 3 year old boy, who has never been good at shedding. I’ve tried every substrate, humid hide diy that he refused to use, buying a humid hide, changing diet, changing almost anything I can think of. And he just never cares to take off all his shed. He seems to give up easy and really just doesn’t care. So typically after 3-4 days I have to do a good 7 minute warm soak and help rub it off with a q tip..

Well this last time, he did have his stuck shed on for almost a week due to me being out of town when he was shedding. My babysitter wasn’t comfortable doing a soak for him so it has to wait.
I noticed he has a red splotch now under his slit, is this from his shed or should I be concerned?

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
That may be from shedding or it may be an infection not connected to shedding. Keep an eye on it. If it's from shedding (and rubbing at it too much) it should fade and heal. If the area is getting pussy or a lot bigger, you may need to take him to a reptile vet.

Aliza

Gojira_0429

Okay I will thank you! Any extra advice on him being a lazy shedder? I feel like I’ve tried it all!

Okay I will thank you! Any extra advice on him being a lazy shedder? I feel like I’ve tried it all!
I don't know if you tried this already but what I do is give a hide that my leopard gecko can scratch on to peel his skin off and when see them getting ready to shed (You can tell by the white, misty skin on them) I spray them with water. Btw I'm not an expert

Gojira_0429

Thank you! I may need to find a new one for him. I’ve decided he is lazy haha, I did start doing electrolyte baths by zoo med once a week and it has helped him but he still just seems to wait for me

Visit our friends