Redoing enclosure, need advice

fairytail

So about a month ago, I got a leopard gecko and a standard ten gallon kit for reptiles. Well I got sand thinking that it would be warmer for her if I kept her on sand. But I realized I shouldn't keep her on sand because she's clumsy when it comes to eating. So I was going to replace the sand with reptile carpet. The only thing I am not sure of is how to keep the temperature up with a mat. Right now according to the thermostat with the sand, it gets to be around 80-85 degrees. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

ADP

Under tank heater. If you don't have one, get one--leopard geckos need belly heat more than they need overhead heat.

Neon Aurora

Well what came in the kit? Is it ZooMed, Exoterra, something else? How big?

Are you using a dial type thermometer or a digital one with a probe? Are you measuring floor temps or air temps?

fairytail

Well what came in the kit? Is it ZooMed, Exoterra, something else? How big?

Are you using a dial type thermometer or a digital one with a probe? Are you measuring floor temps or air temps?

It's a Zilla kit, it came with reptile carpet, a night bulb, and a light bulb with clamps and then the thermometer is a dial type, and I don't know what it measures. I'm assuming air temps. It sticks to the glass. It

Neon Aurora

Well that is likely why you're temperatures are reading low. If the air is 80-85, then the ground is likely way too hot. The ground should measure about 90 degrees. ZooMed sells cheap digital thermometers with a probe. The probe is important because you can put it directly over the heat pad. Most under tank heaters need to be regulated with a thermostat. I have one I got for 30 dollars that works decently enough. It took a lot of tweaking, but it suffices. For my rack I use Herpstats, but for single tanks I use the cheapo thermostat.

Light bulbs aren't really necessary for leopard geckos. Naturally, they hide during the day and come out at night when the sun it not out but he rocks are still warm, effectively getting their heat that way.

Definitely switch to reptile carpet. Sand can be pretty nasty for leopard geckos. I would highly recommend getting a digital thermometer with a probe and a thermostat to regulate the heat pad. Proper heating is probably the most important thing when it comes to keeping leopard geckos.

fairytail

Well that is likely why you're temperatures are reading low. If the air is 80-85, then the ground is likely way too hot. The ground should measure about 90 degrees. ZooMed sells cheap digital thermometers with a probe. The probe is important because you can put it directly over the heat pad. Most under tank heaters need to be regulated with a thermostat. I have one I got for 30 dollars that works decently enough. It took a lot of tweaking, but it suffices. For my rack I use Herpstats, but for single tanks I use the cheapo thermostat.

Light bulbs aren't really necessary for leopard geckos. Naturally, they hide during the day and come out at night when the sun it not out but he rocks are still warm, effectively getting their heat that way.

Definitely switch to reptile carpet. Sand can be pretty nasty for leopard geckos. I would highly recommend getting a digital thermometer with a probe and a thermostat to regulate the heat pad. Proper heating is probably the most important thing when it comes to keeping leopard geckos.

Okay, with the under tank heater, that doesn't go inside the tank, right? And is there any pet store that sells that kind of thermometer and probe?

Neon Aurora

The UTH goes on the bottom of the tank on the outside. It's adhesive and sticks to the bottom of the tank. And you can get those thermometers at just about any petstore. They are normally about $10.

fairytail

The UTH goes on the bottom of the tank on the outside. It's adhesive and sticks to the bottom of the tank. And you can get those thermometers at just about any petstore. They are normally about $10.

All right, thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Visit our friends