S.I.M. Lid modification...

Gregg M

Registered Member
This is the prototype SIM lid modification that we are currently beta testing here and with other members of the site... So far, humidity is stable and at the perfect level... The next round of testing will be with eggs in the container with the modified lid... Once we start hatching eggs with this modification we will update everyone and we will offer it to hovabator users who already bought the SIM prior to this posting for free... If any of you are using the Hovabator and have a SIM, feel free to copy this modification if you like...

Here are some photos... You will also get a glimps of our cellulose incubation substrate...

4439819830_b38bb3a6d9_b.jpg

4439042809_e56bab44cf_b.jpg

4439042871_b5ae6e31a8_b.jpg

snakegirl

Sponge? just add sponge bits to the bin, and add a sponge to the top? reason i ask is if this is safe for the eggs, can i add a sponge to mine with like a Velcro strap (so its removable to add water) because i have eggs due this week?

Gregg M

Registered Member
Sometimes the best fixes are the most simple...

I suggest securing the sponge to the lid the way I did it... You do not want a damp sponge to fall on your eggs...

The cellulose substrate is being tested right now by us... It is not just sponge bits... ***Disclaimer*** If anyone wants to use sponge bits in the bottom of your SIM, that is fine, it is your SIM your eggs, and your responsibility...

Gregg M

Registered Member

I would assume that most sponges will see water at some point... LOL...

The additive is added by us... It is still in its testing stage so I will not give details at this point...

What I mean by pure is that it is not soaped... When you buy a sponge, it will have a soap or soap like substance in it already...

The cellulose we get is dry and in small chunks...

Gregg M

Registered Member
New infor is being passed down to us with regards to using the SIM and Hovabator combo...

It seems that a very low temps in the hovabator are working out just fine without any modification... A few sources in the crested community told us they are experiencing no problems with the combo while temps are in the low to mid 70's...

So it does look like what we were saying is pretty factual... The hot overhead heating element is what is causing the egg chamber to not gain humidity...

Just figured I would put that small bit of data out there for you all... As I said, as we get the info, we will post it up...

robin

New infor is being passed down to us with regards to using the SIM and Hovabator combo...

It seems that a very low temps in the hovabator are working out just fine without any modification... A few sources in the crested community told us they are experiencing no problems with the combo while temps are in the low to mid 70's...

So it does look like what we were saying is pretty factual... The hot overhead heating element is what is causing the egg chamber to not gain humidity...

Just figured I would put that small bit of data out there for you all... As I said, as we get the info, we will post it up...

you really do not need a hova for geckos what need to be incubated in the low 70's. like eric stated he incubated his cresties in the sim on a shelf at room temp.

was the heat even on in the hova when in the low 70's?

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
You say on your site you suggest putting a few holes in the lid to allow for more air and also so the lid doesnt get stuck. Is the lid easy to drill through without cracking it?

Gregg M

Registered Member
you really do not need a hova for geckos what need to be incubated in the low 70's. like eric stated he incubated his cresties in the sim on a shelf at room temp.

was the heat even on in the hova when in the low 70's?

Now, I am no expert here BUT I would safely assume that if you are incubating your eggs in a room that is in, lets say, the 60's, you would need an incubator in order to keep temps in the low 70's... Wouldnt you think so???

Or even if the room is in the low 70s, and fluctuates, you may want to use an incubator...

Do I really need to go through this every time I make a post on the subject???

Here is a famous quote I see in forums often...
"Not everyone does things the same way..."
And I am pretty certain not everyone keeps their homes in the mid to high 70's...

You say on your site you suggest putting a few holes in the lid to allow for more air and also so the lid doesnt get stuck. Is the lid easy to drill through without cracking it?
You do not need to drill holes but if you wanted to, it is very easy to do so... The lid is made of a pliable TPU plastic and will never crack...

Last edited:

robin

Now, I am not expert here BUT I would safely assume that if you are incubating your eggs in a room that is in, lets say, the 60's, you would need an incubator in order to keep temps in the low 70's... Wouldnt you think so???

Or even if the room is in the low 70s, and fluctuates, you may want to use an incubator...

Do I really need to go through this every time I make a post on the subject???

Here is a famous quote I see in forums often...
"Not everyone does things the same way..."
And I am pretty certain not everyone keeps their homes in the mid to high 70's...

You do not need to drill holes but if you wanted to, it is very easy to do so... The lid is made of a pliable TPU plastic and will never crack...

meh as if i would keep my house in the high 70's :p

Visit our friends