Sausage has a poorly eye :(

sausage

BSc AMAS
Sausage is a 5year old ex-breeding male, hes my spoilt baby :p

A few days ago I noticed his right eye looked a little watery but though nothing of it, yesterday I went to feed him and his eye was half stuck shut.
I made up a saline solution and bathed the eye and all was fine again.
This morning I took him to the vets just encase there was something more sinister (I wanted to catch it early to save it getting worse).

The vet was a new one id never used before (was the only one open on a sunday), she seemed really nice but I got the feeling she was just reaming of text book information at me.

She tried to look at the eye but Sausage is a feisty little bugger so she just prescribed a weeks dose of antibiotics and eye drops twice a day in both eyes.

10 mg/g Fucithalmic Vet eye drops is the stuff she prescribed, has any one used this product on a leo before?

He also keeps licking it out of his eyes, there's obviously nothing i can do to stop him, but do you think it will do him any harm?

Looking at his eye now the watery one looks a bit puffy and swollen, I don't think its an allergic reaction to the drops because I have been using it in both eyes and his left one appears to be completely fine. any suggestions???

LeopardGeckoFan

Reptile Enthusiast
Don't worry. It does not do any harm, and licking his medicated eye is like picking at a scab. You just have the urge to do it

sausage

BSc AMAS
lol thanks for replying. well hes had two weeks of antibiotics and the eye drops and there hasnt been any change whats so ever. we have no idea whats going on :(

sausage

BSc AMAS
hey guys

I took him to another vets (a trained herp vet. JOHN CHITTY BVetMed, CertZooMed, CBiol, MSB, MRCVS).
he couldn’t understand why the meds hadn’t worked so he took swabs of the eye which came back clear. sausage was then anesthetized for further examination. they discovered that his tear duct in the right eye was blocked solid, they tried to catheterize the duct witch was unsuccessful. So they tried their best to clear it as much as possible which seems to have made an improvement. Hopefully the rest will clear its self, otherwise its just something I have to keep an eye on and make sure it doesn’t get worse or turn into an abuses.
Today the swelling has gone down and the tears have lessened  iv been giving his eye cold tea baths as directed by the vet to sooth the swelling.

Visit our friends