Scab in Mouth

Wreptile

HTReptile
I tried the search function, and couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I have noticed in the past week that two of the geckos have, what appears to be, scabs on the inside of their lips. I have seen this before, what I'm not sure what is wrong.

Neither of them are eating.

Currently, I have them both on the appropriate amount of Reptaid.

Any ideas?

BGalloway

A few other people have had issues like that. I don't know if it has the same cause though. My leo had the same issue a few months after I got him. His appetite was off while he had the scabs. I just used a wet q-tip to keep his lips moist until the scab fell off. In his case I think a cricket might have scratched his lip while getting eaten.

I'd say just keep doing what you're doing and keep an eye on it. Maybe post pictures?

Wreptile

HTReptile
Unfortunately, one of them has passed away this afternoon. She was my most special reptile.

It's a shame that only one person could respond after 3 days and many views.

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
sorry for your loss, but you should have probably taken her to a vet instead of waiting for responses on a forum. it could have been mouth rot or a bite from her food. if it got infected it may have been what lead to her death. how is the other leo doing? can you post pics of the scab? i would recommend getting the other one to a vet as soon as possible. again, im sorry you lost her.

Wreptile

HTReptile
As I said before, I didn't think it was life threatening, just a small scab. I was told Reptaid works well with that and it should work. I saw no reason to take to a vet. I am tight on money right now, and cannot afford the over priced vet visits.

fl_orchidslave

Unfortunately, one of them has passed away this afternoon. She was my most special reptile.

It's a shame that only one person could respond after 3 days and many views.

We are not vets here. If any advice had been offered it would have been to take your gecko to a qualified herp vet. I like Reptaid and have used it for various issues with a number of species. Sometimes successfully, other times I would use the RX from my vet if there was no noticeable improvement within a short time frame. I am totally an advocate of seeking professional advice. Any health issue must be monitored closely, and when the animal is not responding to treatment, another course is needed. A vet should absolutely be consulted immediately for advice. My vet has told me that often times a herp dies in spite of treatment because it was not addressed in a timely manor. As a forum, we are here to exchange ideas, by sharing and learning. It is ultimately the pet owner's responsibility to properly care for their animal. One day can make a difference.

I'm sorry your gecko died. Hopefully you can save the other.

Visit our friends