Seems healthy but lethargic?

loislane24

My adult male gecko seems healthy, except for the fact that he's not as active as he used to be. He's eating and pooping on a regular basis, but he just doesn't move around much. I've only had him for six months and he was full-grown when I got him.

I was watching a video I took of him a few months ago and he was climbing on things and exploring. Now he just kinda sits there.

Here are possibilities I was thinking about:

1. It's just winter and he's chilling out.

2. The infrared light I use during the day is bothering him (although it helps me get the temp perfect)

3. He has a parasite or some other sickness.

What do you think? Is this worth taking him to the vet earlier? Is there anything I can change to experiment first? Thanks!

loislane24

thanks. You're right, it's hard to say with the description I gave. Nope, he doesn't seem to be losing weight. He can keep his head up and everything. It just seems like he doesn't walk around as much. I notice it when I take him out of the tank because he'll just sit wherever I put him. If it's on my lap, he sits on my lap. If I put him on the floor, he'll probably just stay where he is. I feel like he used to be more interested in exploring and climbing on things.

It's strange, because otherwise I think he's ok. He might have slightly lessor an appetite, but nothing drastic or bad. I just can't figure leos out! It seems like their behaviors change all the time!

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
As long as he's eating and pooping normally you probably don't have anything to worry about. It's Winter so it's cold and completely natural for them to slow down some. If you can get a gram scale and start weighing him weekly you'll have more peace of mind as far as if he's losing weight or not.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
How old is he now versus "before"? It could just be that he is maturing and is more comfortable/familliar with his environment in and out of the tank. Is this the same leo you posted about previously that spends most of his time in the moist hide?

loislane24

Yep @Dog Shrink, it's the same guy. I worry about him too much. :) It's only been 6 months since I first got him. I don't know how old he was b/c he came from a reptile rescue that took him in. I was thinking about the idea that he may be less active b/c he is more comfortable. If I think about it, the times he runs around the most are when he is scared.

@Mel&Keith Good idea about the scale. I like knowing how much he weighs anyway, and it could save me vet trips. As a sidenote, I've been trying to slim him down a little bit because the vet said he was too fat a couple of months ago! He was 64 grams, compared to like 56 when I got him.

Visit our friends