Shaky Gecko

S.U.

I am sorry to bother you guys, but my leopard gecko's legs seem to shake when he walks slowly (front and back). He is a 9.5 month old male giant tremper albino (just under 10", 88g). This is my 2nd leo (last one died of an impaction after 6 years and multiple vet visits), so I'm not new to them, but I am concerned that this isn't normal. He gets lots of calcium/vitamins, so I was wondering if perhaps he was getting too much of those (and if so, which should I scale back, or both?). He is on mealworms for most meals, with 1-2 meals a month as crickets (and once every 2 months or so a hornworm). He is fed every other night for the most part.

Thank you for your time, I respect that you're busy and this likely needs a vet visit, but I've since learned that stuff like this is tough to take them to a vet for as they perk right the hell up the second they see the nice expensive person (seriously, my last one always seemed like the picture of health at the vet office, and the second he got home he was mopey and sick-looking).

S.U.

Sorry, here it is done the preferred way:

About your leo:
- Male
- 9.5 Months; 88g, Ive had him for 7.5 months
- He's from a breeder expo from reputable breeder

A) Health/History
- I handle him 2-3 times a week
- His legs are shaking now when we walks slowly.

B) Fecals
- Normal--green/brown, with clear liquid.
- Last went 2 days ago. Normal in frequency

C) Problem
- His legs shake when we walks slowly, front and back.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- 20 gallon Glass tank with lid
- Repti-carpet
- 2 hides, with moist hide on the hot side (though I don't keep it super-moist, as he gets his warmth from inside the hide, and hates actually basking

B) Heating
- Overhead light during the day, underpad heater all the time
- Cage temps (95 hot side, 80 cool side, 80 at night... is this too warm btw?)
- I regulate the heat manually
- Measure the temperature using digital thermometers

C) Cage mates
None

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- Mealworms, ~3 times a week, about 6-8 each time
- Dish, or I wiggle them with tweezers
- Crickets about 1-2 times a month, and hornworms (1-2) once every 2 months or so

B) Supplements (describe how often)
- Zoo Med reptivite and Zoo Med repti calcium (with vitamin D). I dust every feeding with about 75% calcium, 25% vitamins, until coated. This is what I'm unsure of, how much does he need of each. It's hard to use the directions, as it all doesn't stick to the mealworm.
- Gutload with the orange cubes made for crickets

themaxx76

I've noticed my Leo doing that a few times, it's as they extend their leg to take a step and they twitch/shake it a little bit, I've been told it's just something they do sometimes. Mine hasn't done it lately. it's almost like they don't like the texture of certain surfaces as mine would only do this on my arm, but not my wife's, most likely due to arm hair. She will also do it on fuzzy sweaters/jersey materials.

sausage

BSc AMAS
tremors can be a sign of a cacium deficiency. make sure the calcium has active D3 in it. apart from that i would say see a vet if your worried.

S.U.

Update: he saw a vet about two weeks ago. The vet said he was healthy, except for the tremors (bones strong, clear eyes, etc...). He recommended just switching the brand of calcium and vitamins that I give him. He seems better now, but the vet thought the shakes were neurological (thus, I may own a permanent shake-and-bake gecko). Thank you for your suggestions and help though, as they did help put me at ease.

Visit our friends