Shed question?

DJSnowKat

At least i think it's to do with his shedding, let me explain.

I got Aerrow a 1 year old Leo about 4-5 months ago, and so we've been through several shed's already. I have a moist hide that i try to keep available to him as much as possible and generally he's very good at getting it off. However recently I've begun to notice when i pick him up that the lower portion of his legs and feet have a sort of silvery sheen to them when looked at in the light and at an angle. I've noticed this same silvery sheen on the rest of his body in the early days before he begins shedding, so that's what i associate it with. I assume this is left over skin that he was unable to remove himself, and it needs to come off which brings me to this: the silvery skin is flush with the rest of his skin, there are no edges and no seemingly loose place that i could use to get it off. He's not fully tame and hates me messing with his legs and toes. i have prepared a sauna for him earlier in the week and used it on him once so far, which brings me to my question, If i continue to use the sauna until his next shed to hydrate and loosen the skin, will the skin that is currently stuck come off with the next shed or will i have to take further action in making sure the poor guy doesn't loose any toes? am i even right in assuming that this is stuck skin?

indyana

Gecko skin usually has a bit of a gray sheen when it isn't brand spanking new. Stuck shed will clearly look very gray/white and be at odds with the skin around it. Pictures might help?

But if all his legs/feet look the same way, and there are no defined edges to indicate stuck shed, I would assume you are just seeing natural skin there.

Do you have damp moss in the moist hide? Maybe coconut shavings? Something that would cling to the stuck shed and help him shimmy it off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJSnowKat

indyana:i can't get any good pictures because its really only visible when viewed at an angle in the light on all four legs, and i can usually see the same sheen on the rest of his skin in the weeks before shedding i was just concerned about it because its always present on his legs even if he's just shed, but thank your for the info! I'll just continue to keep a close eye on him for any edges or obviously stuck skin!

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady: I have a paper towel in there that i wet down with water daily, i recently tried the moss but he refused to go into the hide after i put it in, i'll try the coconut shavings!

Visit our friends