Shedding before the skin is ready/Potential injury

SkittlesKitten

I have a female gecko whose around 2 years old. I feed her silkworms and I recently have not been giving her vitamins like I should due to personal stress. Currently the surface temp on the warm side is 95.7 and the humidy is 52%. Her shed developed unevenly, only her body was getting that ghostly appearance while her neck, head and tail were still the same. Because of this, she couldnt grab her shed so she rubbed herself and tore it off with her limbs. She tried to grab a section on her belly and eat it; however, because the skin on her neck area wasnt exactly ready to shed she was stuck with the skin in her mouth. (The top of her head was vibrant while the bottom around her neck area was a little loose and grey.)I was worried she would potentially choke since ive never seen her with shed stuck while she was trying to eat it, so i acted a little hasily (and foolishly) and tried to push it off with a q tip, but my gecko doesnt enjoy being handled. So I held her to gently peel the skin off but she squirmed and it came off quickly and she was able to eat it. There was no bleeding and no obvious damage, but when i look very closely i can see a small tiny section of scales (i want to say the size of a sesame seed) that appear extra shiny, almost like if you peel off a piece of loose skin around your cuticle area. They arent pink or inflamed, just shiny, like new exposed skin. I just cleaned her cage. Here is a picture of her.
20161230_040829.jpg
20161230_041509.jpg
20161230_041111.jpg
20161230_042252.jpg
I could not get clear pictures of her neck, but there is no obvious injury and i cannot find the small patch of shiny scales again. As you can see, her body is clean from shedding and i believe she shed her tail when i wasnt looking, but her head doesnt look ready even though the area of her neck is already lifted. Her toes appear fine except for one leg with a skin patch. Usually when she sheds all of her body turns white and there are some patches occasionally but i can dampen a q tip and they come off. This is the only time shes shed without her entire body being white. I wonder if this is normal for other geckos? I know I should give her vitamins and that was my mistake, but do you think it was the lack of vitamins that caused this shed to be so random? Should I treat the small area of shiny scales, even though they were not pinkish and didnt seem irritated? She continues to rub her head on objects in her cage, how should i handle this if the skin on her head doesnt appear to want to come off? Is the skin ready to shed and just hasnt turned whitish? Should I use something other than wet papet towels for her moist hide? So far Ive only given her a silkworm dusted with reptivite as a sort of treatment/reward.

indyana

If she's gotten off any skin that appears gray, she should be fine and require no further care. If you see any patches that are still hanging on, you can try gently rubbing with a finger to see if they will come off.

For the humid hide, as long as you keep the paper towels damp consistently, they are fine. If you don't want to spray so often, you can try switching to something like coco fiber.

Vitamin deficiency can certainly cause bad sheds, but I'm not certain that's what caused this episode. More likely cause is low humidity, especially if you were distracted and not keeping the humid hide moist all the time.

Visit our friends