Shedding Problems

brillobee

Glittering Geckos
I have two geckos that constantly have stuck shed fromt their eyes to their noses. Everytime they shed this happens. They both have humid hides and do use them when they shed. Any suggestions on how to prevent this and how to remove it. It's pretty tricky to get off, they keep squiriming. It'sprobably unrealated but they both are the same age and came from the same place.

djm1093

mine does the exact same thing and she can barely open her eyes i let it go a day or two if its not off then i slowly pull it off for her idk if that hurts her but it doesnt seem too

RampantReptiles

Shed aid helps a lot to get it off. May also help for prevention.

When trying to get it off, whether you use water or a shed product I would really try to soak the area. Let the moisture sit there for a good 30sec - 2 minutes then attempt to rub it off with a moist cue tip.
Really nothing can be done about squirmy geckos. Some are more tolerant of this procedure than others. I have geckos that I could just about literally poke them in the eye and they wont flinch. I also have geckos that if I look at them funny they run away screaming so... Hopefully with more handling and patience your geckos will get more trusting and accustomed to you.

I have heard that some are just genetically not good at shedding. This is probably something I would see in a pet store gecko or an enigma, they can be special like that!
Worst case I would say dont ever breed those geckos.

Last edited:

Designer Geckos

Contributor
Shed aid helps a lot to get it off. May also help for prevention.

When trying to get it off, whether you use water or a shed product I would really try to soak the area. Let the moisture sit there for a good 30sec - 2 minutes then attempt to rub it off with a moist cue tip.

I have heard that some are just genetically not good at shedding. This is probably something I would see in a pet store gecko or an enigma, they can be special like that!

Agree. When swabbing areas to remove stuck shed use warm water and lightly swab affected areas until it comes off...like wet tissue paper. Watch the toes on those types of shedders...

Certain geckos, particularly the pigmented leos like Mack Snows, Bandits, Tangs, etc. are usually excellent at shedding. Enigmas and albinos can be problem shedders. It is wise to check your geckos carefully under good light...daylight or bathroom light is best. If you have several geckos it may be good to invest in a magnifying light...those are awesome and you can see the smallest speck of shed. Remember, toes don't grow back...also shed stuck around the eye can cause serious long term vision problems. The shedding aid product is a good moisturizer and can be swabbed on problem areas with a Q tip at shed time.

Good luck.

Visit our friends