Shedding Troubles

I brought home my gecko a little over a week ago. He is a juvenile with quite a sweet disposition. When I got him, I already knew that he needed to shed and so I made him a shedding box when I set up his tank. Over the past week, his colors have dulled considerably, until I have seem him turn almost completely white on more than one occasion. However, he doesn't shed his skin. After a few hours, some of his color returns. I don't know what his pattern looks like, as I have never seen him newly shed, and so I am worried that something is wrong. Why won't he shed? He is very alert and active, and has a good appetite, but his skin is loose and pale. Is there a way I can help him to shed? (Thank you in advance)

Neon Aurora

The best thing you can do is make sure his humid hide is nice and moist and then leave him alone. I rarely see my leos shed, which is probably because they normally do it at night or they prefer to stay hidden while shedding. It makes sense to me that that may want to stay hidden because the act of shedding might make them more vulnerable to predators in nature.

But anyways, I don't think you should worry. If you want, you can give him a soak in lukewarm water (no more than 90 F) and then put him back and leave him be. He will likely shed very soon.

Thank you so much! I gave him a lukewarm bath and left him alone and he has shed! Turns out that his pattern is not much of a pattern at all! I'm just relieved that everything is alright. Thanks again!

Visit our friends