Sick baby gecko

Alwayshotroddin

Hi guys,

Yesterday I noticed that one of my baby geckos was lying on the cooler side of the tank not moving a whole lot. I looked at her a bit closely thinking she might be dead (thank goodness she wasn't) and she was still alive but there is definetely something wrong with her. She swishes her tail a lot back and forth and is just laying on her belly with her legs in a funny position. When I woke up this morning she was back in her warm hide but still acting very funny. I'm not sure what to do? I have 2 other babies in the tank wih her that are very healthy. She was always the smaller of the 3 but she has shed and grown right along with the other 2 baby leos, so I'm sure she has been eating. Any ideas as to what could be wrong with her? Parasite maybe? I've never had a sick gecko before. I have 2 adult leos in a separate tank that have been healthy their whole lives so this is new to me! If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it. :) Thanks!

Kecia

L

ledhead

in my limited knowledge I'd be thinking...

If she's the smallest of the 3 have the other two started picking on her. They might have smacked her around a bit?

I'd say separate her from the others. If she did get something you don't want her sharing. Your gonna wanna make sure she's still doing the whole eat, poo, sleep thing. If still acting odd after that and still pooing have a fecal done.

I'm assuming since you have 3 that they were all bought from separate parents about the same time?

Alwayshotroddin

She actually passed away yesterday afternoon. :( I'm not sure what was wrong with her. She was fat even though she was small, but she was still smaller than the others - so possibly she was getting pushed around? I feel horrible, but the other 2 babies are doing good. I have an empty 60 gallon tank that was going to be used for them when they became adults but I'm thinking of moving them into that tank very soon just in case there is something wrong with my 10 gallon. I'm definetely going to keep an eye on the other babies closely in case they are showing any signs of illness. I hate to have this happen!

boutiquegecko

You may want to separate the remaining two into smaller areas like 5qrt bins if you can for a bit. That way you can make sure both are eating well and not bullying each other, as well as keep an eye for illness. Bins are less than $1 at the store and both would fit to share your heatmat for the short time they'll be in there. I wouldn't recommend moving them both to a 60 gal-it's way too big right now. They need to be close to thier heat and food source when they're babies. Do you have pics? We always like to see new geckos if you haven't shown them off yet.

Visit our friends