Sick leopard gecko

Haighti

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on my leopard gecko. She's a female tremper albino, I've had her for about a year now. For the past 6 months or so, she's been having severe trouble eating and I've had to force feed her several times because she just refused to eat. She has been deteriorating since then and has developed a respiratory infection, I was going to get a thermostat for her heating pad as soon as I could but I don't exactly have the money to get one right now. She has trouble breathing and trouble shedding, and her eyes often get stuck together to the point where I have to just go ahead and flush them out with saline solution so she can open them. Due to her trouble shedding, I normally soak her for a while if I catch her just before the shed but the last time she shed I didn't catch it in time and she did a terrible job getting the shed off herself and it had stuck so badly on her nose that it ripped her actual skin off and got a nasty wound on her nose. I used neosporin for that and it cleared up nicely after a while but now she has scabs all around her mouth and her lips get stuck together and I have to help her be able to open it. She's extremely lethargic and doesn't move much. Her eyes are also cloudy and today she had this gooey stuff inside of her mouth that she retched up; it was clear, and it is still inside of her mouth and I don't know what is it or what it's from. She's losing the fat she has pretty quickly though because it has been a while since she ate last and it's kind of hard to force feed her due to all the problems she's having that're relating around her mouth/head. As I can't even afford to buy a thermostat for her yet, I cannot afford to take her to a vet either, and there are no vets that specialize in reptiles around for miles anyway. I do plan on getting her a thermostat for her tank's temperature as soon as I can though, which will be in about a week or two. Until then, I really need to know what I can do for her as she is really ill.

Summary: Refuses to eat. Respiratory infection. Weak/lethargic. Wound around mouth, mouth gets stuck together. Eyes get stuck together. Disgusting slime in mouth she keeps trying to retch up. Cloudy eyes. Losing weight because she won't eat.

Side note: I keep her in a 20 gallon tank and use paper towels for substrate. The default temperature is around 80 degrees.

If you have any advice or know what I could do to help her, please let me know. Thank you.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You're doing everything you can do short of a vet visit and that's what you need to do next. The scabby stuff around the mouth is mouth rot due to the respiratory infection and mouth breathing. I'm currently treating a gecko with this exact problem who, since going to the vet, is doing much better.

Aliza

Haighti

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to say that although I did everything I could, my poor little Dex passed away last night. She had a good life though, I just wish she would've pulled through.

Visit our friends