Snows with Enigma Syndrome?

critterz

I've just recently acquired two new babies, a nice little stripe and mack snow. I knew the snow had some issues prior to receiving her (she was free with the stripe..), but now that I'd had her several days it seems remarkably similar to the enigma syndrome. She excessively circles tightly in both directions and star gazes. I was told she hatched too early after a short power outage, and her toes and eyelids are not fully formed. However, she is healthy overall and eats well. Think it could be related to enigma problems or just a freak thing?

B&B Geckos

Not related unless she's an enigma. She's stressed out from the move, as she acclimate, it's possible that she'll circle less. Is she eating ok?

critterz

She eats and poos perfectly. She did this before I got her. He sent me videos of her circling, she flipped over on her back as well in the vid (which she also still does). He described her as having a weak side. He said she's done it since a hatchling. Just seeing her myself reminds me so much of what I'd seen and heard of this enigma syndrome. She's in good weight and active, and otherwise seems healthy.

B&B Geckos

She's a looker! She's definitely not an enigma, but must have a similar neurological problem. Be careful if you plan to breed her, these symptoms are usually aggravated when they're gravid.

favrielle

Yes, be careful. Maybe I'm off base, but I took what B&B said as a tactful warning, not encouragment. As I understand it, many Enigma females have a difficult time when gravid, even if their syndrome symptoms are slight or nonexistent normally, and this little snow may or may not be the same.

It's up to the conscientious breeder to be careful, to take into account the individual situation with the gecko and determine if it's worth it to put the poor thing through that much stress and health risk. Personally, I would never do it. That doesn't mean others will make the same decision, and we can't force them, only educate and hope they make the care-ful and conscientious choice. Honey vs. vinegar, and all of that.

critterz

She's just a pet, wouldn't even think of breeding her. I just cant help notice the similarities between her problems and the enigmas. Coincidence I guess. She's still eating well and growing.

B&B Geckos

Yes, be careful. Maybe I'm off base, but I took what B&B said as a tactful warning, not encouragment. As I understand it, many Enigma females have a difficult time when gravid, even if their syndrome symptoms are slight or nonexistent normally, and this little snow may or may not be the same.

It's up to the conscientious breeder to be careful, to take into account the individual situation with the gecko and determine if it's worth it to put the poor thing through that much stress and health risk. Personally, I would never do it. That doesn't mean others will make the same decision, and we can't force them, only educate and hope they make the care-ful and conscientious choice. Honey vs. vinegar, and all of that.
Precisely my stance, Angela. Breeding in many situations becomes an ethical question, whether to inbreed, how many generations, best age to do so, whether to condition twice per season or breed enigmas at all. Opinions on these vary, but they're just that, people will always disagree as there is no definite right or wrong answer. In this case the answer is more obvious. I'm glad Chelsea is not breeding this girl, I wouldn't. However, most of the time, I try to refrain from imposing my views or dictating to others what choices they should make. Instead, I choose to suggest and justify my point of view with evidence. This is all I feel we can do to educate each other. Hopefully people will act humanely and do what's in the best interest of their pets.

By the way, Chelsea, Enigmas have all-white tails, this is how I know she's not one.

Last edited:

Visit our friends