So, I Caught a Hornworm and...

We have a huge tomato plant in our backyard. Today I went outside to see how things were coming along, I picked a few tomatoes and a wriggling little tomato lover caught my eye! Normally, if I saw a bug outside I'd leave it... but, i want to to eat the tomatoes and that means no bug can eat them before me! So, instead of just removing it, I thought, wow! These things sell for upwards of a dollar... maybe I could feed it to my leo! Now, I know, I know it could have diseases, parasites, etc. but I was wondering if I kept the little guy for a week or so(he's not even an inch long yet) and let any bad things cycle out of his system, do you think I could feed it to my gecko? The hornworm looks super super healthy, but I want to be 100% sure.

wicked gecko

No definitely not. Ones that have feed off of tomato plants are poisonous to your Leo. The one's we purchase for feeders are raised on a special diet.

Ah wow I did not know this! Anyways, after I posted this I went to check on the hornworm and it had died already. Even if it hadnt, i probably wouldnt have fed it off anyways. The possible negatives outweigh the possible positives. A blessing in disguise I guess! Thank you very much for the quick reply :)

Neon Aurora

Yup, tomato plants have atropine in their leaves. That's why hornworms that feed on tomato plants are a bad idea. It's also a good thing to keep in mind if you have cats, dogs, or kids, as they can get sick from chewing on tomato plant leaves too.

Visit our friends