So this is what happens when you leave eggs in the nest...

Art Geckos

Leo Breeder
I was certain the female was done laying... so I didn't check for eggs like I should have. When I opened their tub to clean everyone out, I was shocked to find two healthy babies hanging out next to their parents in the laybox. Neither the mom (not shown) or dad mistook them for food, and surprisingly each baby was a robust 3.5grams.

Definitely an oversight on my behalf, but what a COOL experience to learn that the parents can differentiate between their offspring and a tasty entree. YIKES and WOW at the same time haha -

I realize this doesn't reflect greatly on Art Geckos, but we want to share our mistakes so others can learn from them :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I read somewhere that leopard geckos seem to have some sense of relationship with the juveniles and often don't bother hatchlings that hatch into the cage. That's no guarantee, of course. I'm glad it worked out.

Aliza

akaangela

Amazing the size difference. LOL now we know how long you go between ever cleaning out your cages hmmmmm????? LOL Just kidding They look like sweet little ones. Thanks for sharing.

LepoInc

I'm just curious on how they survived for that long. I mean, I know eggs can be hearty but cocoa fiber doesn't stay moist for THAT long and to really moisten it, you need to spray, mix, spray, mix,etc. I just think it'd be difficult to look over eggs for 40+ days

sausage

BSc AMAS
how fantastic :). so cute. I have discovered eggs in one of my lay boxes after some time. the box is very deep and they don't seem to dig all the way to the bottom but this time she must have and i overlooked them but not that long.

Art Geckos

Leo Breeder
Amazing the size difference. LOL now we know how long you go between ever cleaning out your cages hmmmmm????? LOL Just kidding They look like sweet little ones. Thanks for sharing.

Every tub is cleaned on a weekly basis, the eggs weren't visible thru the bottom/top of laybox, and because this female started laying in Dec. and wasn't ovulating anymore in July, i was not expecting anymore eggs. Anyways, had a feeling I would catch some flack from this, but that's okay. Like I said, its a learning experience - out of 360 hatchlings across 2 seasons, this is a first

Art Geckos

Leo Breeder
I'm just curious on how they survived for that long. I mean, I know eggs can be hearty but cocoa fiber doesn't stay moist for THAT long and to really moisten it, you need to spray, mix, spray, mix,etc. I just think it'd be difficult to look over eggs for 40+ days

Its easier than you think given the circumstance described above ^^^

Visit our friends