Some Undigested Insects in Feces

About your leo:
- Sex: Female
- Age & Weight: Around 6mo+, 60+ grams
- How long have you owned your leo: 5 months
- Where was he/she obtained: Pet store, always kept good care of their reptiles

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo: Every day
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now: She isnt acting any differently. Still extremely alert, active, etc.
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe: Zero problems.
B) Fecals
- Describe: Apropriately sized urate, half normal looking, half completely undigested insects
- When was the last time he/she went: Today
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on: For the past two days she has been defecating only partially digested foods. Whenever I feed her hornworms, they come out completely digested (ie. as normal feces). I fed her 10 calciworms two days ago and a hornworm and she passed those as mostly undigested yesterday. Yesterday I fed her two waxworms and two hornworms as an unhealthy 'cheat' day of the week. She LOVES hornworms. Today I found her feces paritally normal, except two undigested waxworms. I suspect her gut flora is off.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size: 20 gallon
- Type: Glass
- Type of substrate: Tile
- Hides, how many, what kind: One moist cool hide, one hot hide, one warm hide, one cool "hiding place" (its a piece of wood and plastic vines, so not exactly a hide but totally a hiding place)
B) Heating
- Heat source: UTH
- Cage temps: 90-95 hot side, 73 -76 cool side
- Method of regulating heat source: Rheostat
- What are you using to measure your temps: Digital Thermometer with probe
- Do you have any lights: No, only window in the room to facilitate a proper sleep cycle
C) Cage mates
- How many: 0
- Describe health, or previous problems: N/A

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding: Every other day, extremely varied. Hornworms and calciworms for the past week. Im going to get mealworms incase they are just too complex for her
- How are you feeding: hand fed and tong fed
B) Supplements
- What vitamin/minerals are you using: Repashy Leopard Gecko Vitamins, Repticalcium with d-3, repticalcium without d-3 (in a dish in the tank)
- What are you gut loading food with: As of right now, just the food the insects came with

I'm not too worried because this is only the second day of this, but i am still pretty stressed about this. Don't say she is regurgitating them because I know that is not what it is. There is always a urate by it in her pooping spot. I'm going to schedule a vet appointment for sometime this week after Thanksgiving or next week. Some home remedies or comforting words would help until I get a stool sample tested. Visit @lokitheleopardgecko on instagram for pics of her

Neon Aurora

Your husbandry looks spot on to me. Usually when I see someone having problems with digestion, it is a husbandry problem. Doesn't look to be the case for yours. I'm thinking it could be due to the way her diet is varied (ie, no staple, changing feeders frequently). Sort of like when you are feeding your dog one type of dog food and suddenly switch and they get digestive upset.

Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't be too worried. I've had it happen before and it tends to just go away. My recommendation would be to double check your temps (make sure your thermometer is working properly) and just keep an eye on it. Maybe try feeding a staple with other feeders added in as variation instead of feeding phoenix worms one week and the next feeding mealies. So I mean if you wanted mealies to be your staple, you would always feed mealies but also give a few hornworms a week or whatever. I don't think leopard geckos are immune to digestive upset from having their diet changed a lot.

Your husbandry looks spot on to me. Usually when I see someone having problems with digestion, it is a husbandry problem. Doesn't look to be the case for yours. I'm thinking it could be due to the way her diet is varied (ie, no staple, changing feeders frequently). Sort of like when you are feeding your dog one type of dog food and suddenly switch and they get digestive upset.

Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't be too worried. I've had it happen before and it tends to just go away. My recommendation would be to double check your temps (make sure your thermometer is working properly) and just keep an eye on it. Maybe try feeding a staple with other feeders added in as variation instead of feeding phoenix worms one week and the next feeding mealies. So I mean if you wanted mealies to be your staple, you would always feed mealies but also give a few hornworms a week or whatever. I don't think leopard geckos are immune to digestive upset from having their diet changed a lot.

I appreciate your comment on my husbandry, I always worry i'm doing something wrong or messing something up! But anyways, I bet you are spot on. I hadn't thought about that. I'll try your recommendations and keep an eye on her :) Thank you!

Visit our friends