Spring Turkey Season

justindh1

Well yesterday was the opening day of spring turkey season here in Missouri! I have been waiting for it for months. Got this big ol' tom about 11 o'clock yesterday. Called him in, another big tom, and about 6 jakes from 400+ yards. It was a great day in the outdoors but what day isn't if your out in the outdoors. Don't know if any of you are hunters but just had to show of. He had a 11 1/4" beard and 11/16" spurs, big beard but adverage spurs. He was well over 20 pounds but not for sure since I didn't weight him. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 32298

snowgyre

Congrats!! I haven't gone turkey hunting since I moved to Georgia, but I used to do it all the time in New York. Can you believe the season has already been open for a month down here?

Nice looking bird, I'm sure he'll be good eatin'!

justindh1

I shoot a Mossberg 500 3" with a Briley Ported Super Turkey Choke. Not the best gun but does the job. I also have a Bushnell red dot scope which I love. I shoot Winchester Supreme Elites #5's.

Season here is only 3 weeks long with a 2 bird limit. 1 during the first week and another during the 2nd or 3rd week. If you odn't get on ethe first week the 2 can be taken in consecutive days during the 2nd and 3rd week. I couldn't go a season with-out hunting. Its one of the things that makes my pulse race in life.

Last edited:

justindh1

I am not a hunter so I know this is kind of biased. Doesn't it kind of ruin the fun when you use lures/calls and stuff to get them?

Please explain your idea of why it would ruin the fun?

In Missouri it is illegal to use baits to lure in a animal to hunt but not in all states. It is not illegal to make the sounds of that animal to get it in closer to have a successful hunt. The fun isn't neccesarily taking game but it is the time spent outdoors enjoying it. The taking of game just adds to the great experience.

phoneguy

I am not a hunter so I know this is kind of biased. Doesn't it kind of ruin the fun when you use lures/calls and stuff to get them?

Not at all. It is actually a skill to be able to call in a turkey. It adds to the experience to have to watch and wait for the bird to come to you, the whole time trying to keep your calls sounding real and not making yourself known.

justindh1

Awesome TOM ! Turkey season starts in a week here I think :D
Thanks Paul!

Not at all. It is actually a skill to be able to call in a turkey. It adds to the experience to have to watch and wait for the bird to come to you, the whole time trying to keep your calls sounding real and not making yourself known.

if anything i get excited if i see an animal come from a call

You both are 100% right! :main_thumbsup:

snowgyre

Indeed, it takes a lot of practice and skill to call in a turkey. You basically have to learn their language, and wild turkeys are surprisingly crafty considering their less than intelligent reputation. I know I'm not the first one to have a bird basically give me the finger and take off when I screwed up on a call!

There's also a safety issue addressed with calling. If a turkey is gobbling and you weren't allowed to call to convince him to come to you, there would be the possibility of other hunters stalking in on the same bird. Turkey season can be very exciting... and very dangerous if there are inexperienced or unsafe hunters in the woods. It's a good thing to call them in.

phoneguy

and very dangerous if there are inexperienced or unsafe hunters in the woods. It's a good thing to call them in

I have actually called in a "STALKING" hunter in cammo head to toe trying to gobble at my hen yelps during spring gobbler here in PA. This guy had no idea what he was doing and I have been extra careful ever since. I told him he was lucky he didn't sneak up on someone with an itchy trigger finger.

CallDr

Congrats on your turkey! I have been designing turkey callers as a profession "Call Dr" ( and others ) since 1988 and I know that calling in your bird is always a joy.

It seems Geckos are as fickled as Turkeys....lol. I guess thats why I like them. They are a challenge to figure out...lol.

CallDr

Your question is a good one. Luring with a caller is but one way to hunt them. To some..... it's rewarding ( challenge ) to call or lure the Turkey with just a caller.

Some use decoys and or sit in blinds.

Visit our friends